Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I got to the High Island Gulf Coast area Wednesday at noon, here it what greeted me.

There was already about 5 kayakers on the beach and some were telling of already catching bull reds and jack on artificial's. We all launched and most of the group paddled out to about 10 ft. but all they got was gafftops.

So most of us went out to 13-14 feet and then we got nothing.............well most of us got nothing..............SaltyKat hooked two sharks and one almost took him to Cuba, I am told.

After about 30 minutes with no runs, I paddled in to the surf area and anchored up in 4 ft of water (that was the only place I had seen bait). Soon I was rewarded with a nice bull red.

Originally there were only two of us in the shallow water and we were this close to the beach!!

Soon we started catching fish!

In time everyone but BTBRich and SaltyKat were in close to the beach fishing and all were catching some fish.

I was starting to have a good day!

This was number 5 for me.

Then number 6!

Then it all stopped and the gafftops and small sharks moved in.

So I move out to 6-7 ft of water and started catching fish again.

By this time BTBRich and SaltyKat had paddled in to join the group and I was close enough to BTBRich to get a few pics!

BtbRich was catching up fast!!! 8)

I caught 3 more fish to make it 11 bull reds for the day.

We all came in about 5-5:15 pm and load for the trip home.

It wasn't an outstanding day but just steady. There were 3 or more with 10 bull reds and I don't think many had less than 5-6.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Noted the tennis balls in the rod holder tubes... I have heard people talk about plugging these holes, but don't understand why they do. The tubes are sealed and should be tipped up when the boat is on a normal waterline... water would tend to drain out right? Even then, they can't retain much water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Noted the tennis balls in the rod holder tubes... I have heard people talk about plugging these holes, but don't understand why they do. The tubes are sealed and should be tipped up when the boat is on a normal waterline... water would tend to drain out right? Even then, they can't retain much water.

Check it out, the rod holder tubs are slanted down toward the front of the bow of the Pro Angler. Should you get water in them (like going through a large surf) they definitely will and do hold water. The Pro Angler has enough weight in the bow and in as little as two foot chop will plow through waves and bring water over the front hatch and into the cockpit. One of the ways to attempt to eliminate this is to keep the bow as light as possible.....................no added water (at 8.35lbs a gallon) is need.

Should you or anyone paddle in large surf and waves (3-5 ft or more) then with out the plugs, you will experience what I am talking about. I am pretty sure you will be plugging your rod holder tubs, too. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Hummm... I'll have to ask the engineers to review. Maybe they slip down lower over time? I believe they are supported inside the hull (not near one right now).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)