Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I been out rigging and fine tuning my Hobie Pro Angler, which is loaded with lots of extras. The kayak has a Hobie live well, saltwater motor guide trolling motor and came with a humminbird fish finder. To make it even a sweeter deal, it was the exact color I was wanting.

Now I am in the process of getting things the way I want them. I will carry it on my kayak trailer and it rests there when not on the water too. Just as I do with my other kayaks, I have large pool noodles with PVC pipe through the middle and a rope with bungee cord to keep them on. I have already been told this system might cause "oil canning", but it has worked on the X-Factor for three years, with no "oil canning".

Here is my kayak trailer and my new PA.

These are the pool noodles that are under the PA on the trailer and there are three of them.

Here is my trolling motor, battery and I just purchased a new kayak cart..........it works like a dream.

To support the use of the trolling motor, the previous owner installed a sturdy brace made of wood.

I don't think it is going anywhere.

Here is how it looks from the front.

I am seriously thinking about the Evolve..............just got to make the decision.

I e-mailed Hobie and ask about them honoring the warranty to me, the second owner, and they said "absolutely" and immediately sent me a new rudder control cam........which I installed Saturday am.

The fish finder that came with the yak is a Humminbird "Fishin Buddy" and it was mounted where my paddle hit it when paddling. Yes I will have to paddle this yak, some as I fish 99% offshore and have to get through the surf before I will be locking in my mirage drive. Here is a link to the fish finder........I have already sold it.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/27 ... n%27_Buddy

Because I have already got another through the hull fish finder and I just have to figure you where and how exactly I will mount it.

I have only had the yak on the water two times for very brief periods and I need more peddle/paddle/trolling time. I hope to get it on the water soon and do some personal adjusting and maybe some fishing......in a freshwater environment.

So far, I am very excited and happy with my PA.........just going to take some time to get use to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

MM, glad you moved over from TKF. Don't get me wrong, I love TKF. Like I said this site is the place you want to be since your purchase. Your gunna be busy for a while with that PA, totally awesome. There is just a ton of stuff that can be tweaked on these yaks. That dude was nuts to give up your yak at that price. Now you have secured a seat at the table. Welcome!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

congrats on getting a PA. I bought Mad Frog's Liberator and I will mount it using a Scotty fishfinder mount on a clamp on Scotty rail mount. the Liberator will have the FF, FF battery and transducer all in one mounting location, no holes to drill and no goop needed in the hull for the transducer. will be a nice and clean install. I also have several Scotty rod holders mounted on the side rails, again no holes need to be drilled anywhere to mount these. the Humminbird FF I am using also has a built in GPS so I won't have to carry a seperate GPS now.
http://www.madfroggear.com/liberator/liberator.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

WELCOME MM, glad to see you made it over here :D

I noticed you aren't utilizing your hole. (Sail Mast Mounting Hole)

I used The Liberator on a Scotty on my last kayak with FF and battery holder and GPS mounted. I wanted more Real Estate so I got 2 Walmart cutting boards and stacked them and used those as a top with the Liberator Arm on it and mounted to a 1-1/2" Ram double swivel ball Electronics mount. I added 2 rod holders to the GPS/FF/Battery "TABLE" that fits on the RAM BALL WEDGE MOUNT in my Sail Mast hole and adjusts with the 2 swivel balls.

I melted some more holes in the front edge of the TABLE for pliars, de-hooker, tools etc. and I have since trimmed the front and back so it's a narrower strip of a wide table and weighs less. These are old photos, but give the idea. And, of course you may not want all that junk way up front too far away to see, but it's a handy hole to have for whatever you want to use it for, tool storage table/shelf Poke a wooden dowel rod in the hole to make a urinal holder ... whatever. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice set up RPB, but afraid the PA is so big, should I try the same, I couldn't read the fish finder or GPS.

I really need to get out and spend a whole lot of time in the PA to see where I want to mount everything. Of course, the side mounting boards are the logical place, however, since I am exclusively an offshore fisherman, I still have to have room to paddle through the surf..........and that creates some limits on utilizing the mounting boards.

I am eagerly awaiting some warmer weather to get this yak on the water for some much needed experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All you have a great knowledge of the. I think these are my old photos, but I eagerly wait for warmer weather idea.I make the yak in the water on some much needed experience.