Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

An updated shot from the Holiday weekend. I'm still waiting for a bracket system to go on the market for the PA.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're only looking for a bracket I think what you've done is pretty darn good.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LOL....still waiting for a bracket....Now I don't care who you are, that's funny right there :) That thing is SLICK!!! If you look at Bassyaks, they pretty much do the same exact thing....have a transom mount base that has the front legs cut off, and maybe a different bracket hinge.....That is it...and you have to pay $900.00 for it...Common **lol** Slick TeamGeauxFish....

Hey, from now on, I'm callin you TGF. It's a pain to type the whole thing. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very nice TGF, Mr. Tom, it appears you have a great system as well, however i am working on something too and its not only going to be slick but its also going to be capable of going above 7mph....

Curt, do u have a PA?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting more speed isn't a problem - that's easy to do. Right now we can push a PA at 12MPH, but to do it requires either far less battery life or a much larger battery. Realizing, of course, that if you can move twice as fast you only need 1/2 the battery life, but it's also important to provide a good balance of properties such as speed, distance, battery life, weight and overall performance suited to the particular boat.

Neither of us cared for the package that pushed the PA at just over 12MPH. Nor did we care for the way the boat handled at that speed. We settled on something that will push it between 5 and 6MPH, give several hours of battery life at full throttle, continue to turn well (and safely) and weigh less than 35lbs complete with battery.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Getting more speed isn't a problem - that's easy to do. Right now we can push a PA at 12MPH, but to do it requires either far less battery life or a much larger battery. Realizing, of course, that if you can move twice as fast you only need 1/2 the battery life, but it's also important to provide a good balance of properties such as speed, distance, battery life, weight and overall performance suited to the particular boat.

Neither of us cared for the package that pushed the PA at just over 12MPH. Nor did we care for the way the boat handled at that speed. We settled on something that will push it between 5 and 6MPH, give several hours of battery life at full throttle, continue to turn well (and safely) and weigh less than 35lbs complete with battery.

I'm still trying to figure out what type of system this could be, weighing only 35 lbs...and being able to power you at 5-6MPH for several hours? Hummmm, sounds like a fish tale to me :D Heck, maybe it'll be in production by the time I get a PA. That should be a year from now...maybe more :) And then, Hobie will probably have something better than the PA, with built in thrusters on the side sponsons, and a through hull bow thruster....I mean, it is a carrier after all.

Last edited by CurtnAz on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

goneYAKcrazy wrote:

Curt, do u have a PA?

Surprisingly no :( Have to save for one. With 3 kids, a wife, a mortgage, and car payment....pennies come few and far between. But, I like looking at all the ideas and planning ahead. I'm also the type that doesn't like wires hanging all over or equipment just bolted on. I like a slick, clean look, like it was designed with whatever I have in mind. Whether I have to use resin infusion, thermoforming, etc...I'm going to get the look I want :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No fish tale. The videos prove what we've been able to do. If we get out again this weekend, we'll take more videos. It works and works perfectly. I doubt you have any idea what my regular job entails - I have a pretty darn good track record. I don't have to make stuff up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LOL...just razzin' ya :) I'm actually stoked about a person who came back to where I live to work for my father in law. My FIL owns a computer ISP and his right hand man is an electrical engineer...so, should help in a lot of aspects in design and such for miscellaneous do dads :)

So, who do you work for Tom? The CIA or the IRS :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
No fish tale. The videos prove what we've been able to do. If we get out again this weekend, we'll take more videos. It works and works perfectly. I doubt you have any idea what my regular job entails - I have a pretty darn good track record. I don't have to make stuff up.

Would you answer one question for me, and then maybe I'll be able to understand a little. Does you propulsion system involve a simple setup, such as a trolling motor, or is it more in depth like a shrouded propulsion unit on a ROV?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can't buy what our system entails. That's all I'm going to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess instead of starting a new thread, this one is fitting.

This whole time I've been looking at different methods people use to mount a trolling motor on their PA, and this whole time I've been thinking of HOW it could be mounted in a mirage drive well....it's sitting right under my nose.

And by a search, there's no mention of it in the Hobie Forums.

Has anyone heard of, or tried this Stealth Serpent system? That's what I was thinking for a propulsion unit. Something in front of the rudder which would retain the PA's maneuverability. But none of the brand name trolling motors seem like they'll fit in the drive well. Their website looks like it has the old drive well mounts and by assumption, the PA didn't even exist then. Other thing I would change is to make the throttle remote and leave the surface of the plug flush, or as close to it as I could get :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Connect a windshield wiper motor to your mirage drive, by a linkage (adjustable for full stroke or "feathered stroke") and you'll have the best all around drive system available. Fins are more efficient to propellers.

This is something else we were working on and had good results with but that's another story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did you just give a hint to what your propulsion unit is? :) I agree, if one could connect some type of motor, be it a wiper motor or whatever, to a Mirage drive and really get that thing goin' without the force put on it by a person's weight, that would be a screamin' eagle machine.

After watching a couple vids on that Serpent system, I don't like it as much. Seems like an awful lot to have to pull out if you ever wanted to put a Mirage drive in :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i deff like the idea of the motor the way you have it mounted but in your video were is the mount ???? its nice tha its below he water line .and very cost affective i myself cant afford the evo$$$$$$$$....in the market for your idea just trying to figure your rail mount ...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next