Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tons and tons of good info here. The best I've seen is probably a mixture of TGF's and bassyaks. I like the clean and smooth look that makes it look as though whatever boat the motor is put on, was designed to have it put on. So, that being said, flush mount as much stuff as possible (plug, mount, control, etc.) That being said, when I get a PA; I'll blend both options of TGF and bassyaks. Although TGF has the large control handle; I think I would opt for something smaller (such as what is used for the engine mount). I do like the momentary on/off switch though and could only guess the multitude of uses and locations for it.

Last thing would be, if you're standing and fishing with a powered PA (like a bass boat) we gotta figure out a way to steer it :) That is something that I'm surprised hasn't come up :) Wonder if a simple servo either at the handle, or at the steering drum, would do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I already have twin steering on my PA (see diagram from earlier post) and will begin work on something to allow me to steer it while using the new H-Bar in stand up position. At the same time, safety needs to be considered as running a boat this size while standing exposes you to some amount of risk. We'll see how it pans out, but I think I have something in mind that will allow you to steer the boat from the H-Bar. Just need to knock one out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've never seen these photos here before, but it's what ultimately made me choose the PA over a small gas powered Flats Skiff.
While moving pix to a new hard drive, I found these photo's of a PA that was for sale online when I first started cataloging images of everything PA from the web.

Possibly someone knows the story about this early motorized PA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No idea, but that's what I was talking about above when I mentioned creating a transom and mounting it to those molded-in nuts.

The PA lends itself nicely to these type modifications.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
(see diagram from earlier post)

How early of a post....still looking for the diagram :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few months back. Do a search under my name. It should say something about "dual PA steering."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
A few months back. Do a search under my name. It should say something about "dual PA steering."

Thanks, was thinking a few posts back in this thread :) I'll take a gander...

**edited for update**

Found it....TWIN STEERING is what it was. Not quite sure how that might work to control it by foot. Have to get pretty good with the dexterity of your foot :D The system (from what I gather) is simply cables though, correct? Pull one, go one way, pull the other, go the other way :D I suppose something could easily be rigged for a manual foot control. Definetely useful for the stand up pole and definetely interested in seeing what people come up with.
I would also like to see Hobie design or adapt a higher poling platform to the standing platform (almost like what TGF has but without the ladder :D). I think that would be something simple as well :D

I would say the next thing I would anticipate Hobie coming out with is a powered PA, but, doubt that'll happen. I think that would be like the Torqeedo. Might sell a few, but not enough to make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CurtnAz
I also suspect that Hobie is probably bound by some sort of contractural agreement with the folks from Torqueedo which would prohibit Hobie selling any type of propulsion system which would compete with theirs.
Regards.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shimanoman wrote:
CurtnAz
I also suspect that Hobie is probably bound by some sort of contractural agreement with the folks from Torqueedo which would prohibit Hobie selling any type of propulsion system which would compete with theirs.
Regards.....

Agreed, but that contract has an expiration as well :) With that, I would assume that Hobie is designing all kinds of doo dads...but maybe they're leaving all those up to the buyers/users; because when you think about it, the more stuff they design, the more they have to warranty. From what I've heard, Hobie's service is top notch, but when you add stuff, it could create more problems. When people start modifications on their yaks, some of them will void the warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys bassyaks use a foot control similar to the one the other brands use for thier rudders. I would think the optional sterring handle for the hobie pa can be modifyed to work. Rudder on the left and motor on the right. If you are talking about using a foot controlled trolling motor, there will some kind of modifying to do. you can even use the remote controll type

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't steer my boat with my foot - the twin steering linkage is for hand steering.

What I would do for a steering piece on the leaning bar would also be for steering by hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I don't steer my boat with my foot - the twin steering linkage is for hand steering.

What I would do for a steering piece on the leaning bar would also be for steering by hand.

I kinda figured :) But that's why I said steering like when in a bass boat..The difference being, you're obviously steering with the motor. In the case of the PA, you'd have to figure out something to control the steering with your foot, if you didn't have a stand pole.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you can always get the minnkota copilot sytem and control the motor using the remote. you can use the remote standing or sitting. and its about the same price as bassyaks and you are not cutting into the pa, well except to mount the base onto the pa. they are 12volts. you can get the new ipilot thats has gps and will maintane a certian depth or path. it well let you fish a ridge and adjust to the wind, waves and so on. it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. i will just wait till i get my pa. when i order it thru austin canoe and kayak it will beclose to 5 grand any ways. whats another grand right?

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Think of all the gas and oil you will save though so that grand will be made up in no time at all lol....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom we steer with our feet so our hands are free to fish. Please post a video of your system at slow speeds, lets see some tight maneverability. I have an idea what your doing, which is cool. Our stuff is used for fishing not touring around, I still think we have the most maneverable system out there, and we aren't worried about shallows or dragging the motor. Those motors are rock solid.
Anyone can throw a 100 thrust lb motor on there and run it at a higher voltage to go fast.
Bassyaks systems can go from 30 thrust lbs to 100, and run times can be lenghtened by adding more batteries.

Tight Lines
SteveK
Bassyaks

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next