Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
racechaser wrote:
It takes all my finger strength to turn the lever. Others say there steering is too loose and it moves on its own.

You are aware of the line tension adjustment knob? Once on the seat and each time in the boat this may need adjustment.

I am aware of it. I have opened it and that is where I was going to try some grease. I was going to put some on the Round "male to female" part that join when you reassemble.

The function of the knob is to take slack out of steering lines though. Mine is not a slack/unresponsive issue, it is a "man if I push any harder is this thing going to break?" issue.

I have a PA, two Sports, and a Maui and love them. I had an Outback which I traded for the PA and the steering was never an issue, other than not having twist and stow.

I may try changing lines I guess. I'd rather just do the Mod if this is a problem with some boats and not just a convenience issue on where the tiller handle is positioned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Hummm... Look under the boat and check the rudder function. I have heard of the rudder contacting the hull because the shaft is bent. Catches and takes effort to get past the contact point.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Hummm... Look under the boat and check the rudder function. I have heard of the rudder contacting the hull because the shaft is bent. Catches and takes effort to get past the contact point.

So I looked at rudder and dealer said it looked ever so slightly bent when it was welded and warranted out with a warranty kit in stock.

It did not fix the problem. When taking steering all apart trying to find the problem, I discovered that the rudder pin "tube" that goes from top of boat to bottom of boat is crooked. It looks like it was cast crooked in the mold or knocked ever so slightly while cooling down.

Here is a video of the drum being moved side to side

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dPwXnFwk9So" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are a few of the "tube" and drum area. Notice brass worn and PE worn down

And here is one with a level laying across the top of the steering drum area as a straight edge. Notice how crooked rudder pin is where it comes through the hull?

While the drum rubbing while in my yard on my trailer is not enough to affect the steering TERRIBLY, I wonder if the force of motion on rudder while in the water is causing the intermitent stering problem.

I have adjusted cables several times, taking all the slack out after each trip so that the "twist adjustment" does not have to be tightened as much. You are right if you have too much slack in cables the set screw binds into the steering mechanism.

Is this a warranty issue you have encountered before?

Thanks
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The embed on video didn't come through so here is a link to it.

http://youtu.be/dPwXnFwk9So

Scott