Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can this 200 # capacity for the Outfitter be safely increased by putting weight forward while using it solo?. :?:

With my fly fishing waders, boots, other clothing, pfd and two rods in the back holders, my total weight is between 215-225 #'s:

So, one question is how much weight should I have in up front to "balance" the yak while solo?

The second question is with my solid/muscular grandson weighing in at 85# to 90#'s depending on his clothing and personal gear and fishing rod. Will that be enough weight with the two of us in the Outfitter?

Thanks

Dave

Weight Capacities for Tandem Model Kayaks

By Hobie Cat Support | Posted: June 7th, 2010

"With one occupant in the kayak, the maximum capacity is further decreased, since the weight of the front occupant is zero. For single occupancy, maximum capacity for the Outfitter and the Oasis are 200 and 220 pounds respectively. When either boat is pedaled with a single occupant, the rear of the kayak will have a tendency to sit lower in the water, increasing the chance of submerging the stern and rudder cables. With this dynamic, it is important to load all gear as far forward as possible to balance the weight in the boat."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes you can balance with weights or water bags forward when solo. You just have to see how it feels with his weight forward. Our recommendations are generic and assume rough water and best comfort for the users.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)