Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Hatch LIvewell?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was just wondering why there has not been anyone install a live-well setup in the front hatch. It seems it would be really simple other than having to drill a hole in the side of the yak but you could make it like a bass boat just flip a switch and fill it up and let it circulate. I was just watching it rain today and staring at my PA, wondering what I can do to it. I know that Malibu kayaks have live-well/bait tanks in theirs. Would it mess up the warranty or make the boat mess up in any way? Let me know what yall think about it if no negative feed back I AM DOING IT! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At a weight of about 8.3 pounds per gallon, and a 16 gallon capacity front hatch liner...That works out to about 133 pounds. Even if you didn't fill the liner, thats still alot of weight to be adding to the bow (front) of the PA. The PA would not do well in my opinion with that much added weight to the bow because it might try to submarine when hit by wake or swells. I use my PA in salt water (bay & ocean), and when wake from another vessel or wind driven waves hit the bow...Even when the front hatch area is empty...The PA drives through the wave instead of riding over it. If there was another 133 or so pounds added to the bow, it would likely be a much wetter experience...And also less safe...People typically use the front hatch area for dry storage or to hold ice with food and drinks, or for putting their caught fish in. Still though...Even with 20 lbs of ice, 10 pounds of drinks, food or caught fish...That doesn't come close to the weight of a 16 gallon liner filled with water...And also...With the added weight of the water splashing around inside the liner, I would think the liner would not be stable and add unwanted stress to the liner seat, possibly creating a path for the water from the liner to escape into the hull...Just my opinion though...I've never tested my PA that way from fear of possibly damaging it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All very good points sir. I too have considered using front hatch as live well. I totally forgot about the weight of the water. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You could just go half full and it wouldn't be that much weight. I don't know I need more time on my hands to experiment. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you keep the water contained? One leak and you'll wish the inside was self bailing as well. Too many great ideas here using the back storage for a bait tank. Mirage drive will always be in the way every time you go for bait

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bboren03; I would agree totally with TGF and YakFish. With respect. The addition of that much weight on the narrowest forward portion of your PA would, IMO only serve to destabilize an initially stable and safe angling platform. When you move forward to access any bait, your added weight transfer will only serve to further destabilise your craft. I believe that it is far easier(and less awkward) to just reach into a rear baitwell. In any but dead calm, mirror like surface conditions, this forward livewell instability would exponentially increase your opportunities to swim with the fishes that you are trying to catch. I suspect that Mr Miller would strongly suggest against any modification of this sort. Having said that, I wish you Good Luck in any case. Give my regards to the fishes.....Regards.....