Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I received a few emails after posting Part 1 asking for the rest of my mods and motor info, here's Part 2 of my PA setup. This should cover everything plus some special requests.

Team GeauxFish Kayak 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice keep up the good work! Thanks for the video gave me some good ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video. Thanks.

I noticed that you also use the RAM tube mounts (like you I find these better for my purposes than the Scotty's). I made a few mods to mine, however, that some of the guys might be interested in.

I found the original unit a bit bulky and large so I cut the main tube ends off leaving only enough of a collar to hold a slightly smaller diameter ABS tube. The top of the tube is notched to hold the trigger on a casting/trolling rod. Then I bored and threaded the collar to hold an adjustment screw so I can slide the tube up or down, or turn it to any degree. This adds a ton of adjustability to the unit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now this is what I'm talking about, PA users doing cool stuff never seen before and posting it for all to see. I'm glad I gave you a shout out in my 2nd video, this mod is very smart and makes the Ram 2000 rod holder more versatile than ever.

Ok PA users, over 100 of you have looked at this post and only Tom has come through. Toms rod holder idea will be used by some of you, it's an awesome mod that you'll only find in a place like this.

There are other great ideas being used on PA's by people on this forum, now is the time to step up and show us.

We're better together.

Team GeauxFish Kayak 2011

***Still waiting for someone to post a photo of an Insulated Fish Bag inside the front hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice work TGF!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

AHHHH, OMG....Call the press! Tom released an idea :o) Just kiddin'.

Cool ideas to all. This needs to be like a sticky or something where people can just post their ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search and you'll see a dozen or more other ideas I've shared here in the past couple years.

Kayak fishing "accessories" are often nothing more than small boat accessories rebranded as being Kayak specific stuff. There is often vast room for improvement.

I often think Hobie is the only kayak company that employs people who actually fish. In the consulting work I've done for other kayak companies, I often hear something like, "I design the fishing stuff here but I"m not really a fisherman." No kidding - I've been told that more than a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just razzin ya :) As for TGF's heated seat idea. I wonder if that wouldn't create a tremendous draw on a battery; with a heating element and all. Just take some hot hands packs and stuff them in your back pockets :D Walla, heated seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
***Still waiting for someone to post a photo of an Insulated Fish Bag inside the front hatch.

How about an insulated front hatch?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not much weight at all and pretty much amounts to an insulated, built-in cooler. I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like it as well....and if you wanted to get really creative and put more time into it, you could spray foam on the outside and carve it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for sharing all your ideas guys. I just sold my rigged Pro Angler, and since there has been nothing modified on my wife's PA, it's a clean slate for me to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I should clarify, I have only done one "ice trial" with this set up so far, temp for the day was mid 80's. The trial consisted of a lone 8# bag of ice that was placed in the hatch at 6:15am. Fished all day, traveling thru both smooth and choppy waters. Loaded the boat back onto the truck around 4:30pm, still had about 1/3 of the bag of ice left. Water in the hatch from the melted ice, but none in the hull of the boat. This was cheap C-store cube ice that generally melts fairly quickly under the best conditions.

Using more of a shaved/pellet type ice (20-30#) packed in, I can see this being a VERY feasible solution for an onboard fish cooler without stinking up your drink cooler. Very convenient when fishing BTB with limited space for extras.

With that in mind, I work as a butcher for a grocery store in the Houston area, we have our own industrial grade ice machine that we use for icing our seafood displays. It is a very small pellet style ice that packs very well and filling a 36-48 qt cooler, it will generally last about 3-4 days in the Texas heat (if I can keep my wife and her 1-gallon sized iced tea mug out of it).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be doing mine in great stuff very soon, review coming :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this is a great tread, it has given me several good ideas for my PA