Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have PA will travel.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning a month-long kayak fishing excursion in January! I will be leaving my home in Oklahoma City and driving to Ft. Lauderdale. Along the way I'll be stopping at the following places to fish:
1. Venice, LA - this will mostly be a redfish excursion as most of the trout are in deep holes.
2. Orange Beach, Alabama - This is a great bull redfish spot. But there may also be some opportunities for a big winter trout.
3. Sebastian, Fl. - This is a great all-around fishery. Weather will dictate what type of fishing. But this is a great spot for big snook and trout.
4. Ft. Lauderdale - The bulk of my time will be spent in S. Florida. My parents live in a development with numerous lakes and creeks which are no-motor zones. I've caught hundreds of largemouths here over the years, with 3 legit 10 pounders. I can't wait to take the yak to them. But there are many more opportunities, including offshore kayak fishing for sailfish, dolphin, wahoo, tuna and amberjack. There is a cadre of offshore kayakfishermen down there. And I plan on hooking up with some of those guys. I grew up in S. Florida and know the area well.
5. Florida Keys and Flamingo - I plan on getting down there at least a couple times to try and catch some tarpon, bonefish, snook, redfish and jacks from the kayak. I spent many years down there and have been dying to try kayak fishing in the Keys.

On the way back I plan to stop at one spot in the west coast of Florida, to be determined. Maybe Hommasassa or Pine Island. But the one spot I'm really hoping to make, weather permitting, is Lake Fork TX as this is where some of the biggest, baddest largemouths live.

I'm going to try and set up a blog and will link it here for this trip. I've been wanting to do a kayak trip like this for many years. And the stars are finally lining up for it to happen. 8)

Post subject: Re: Have PA will travel.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have the time The Forgotten Coast in NW Florida is simply amazing. Cape San Blas, Apalachicola, St. George and the surrounding area is simply spectacular. It's the last part of Florida that hasn't been developed. Might want to check on it. Fishing in these areas is stellar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Panama City has been in fire lately also!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When you make it up to Pine Island (Hernando County) give me a call I live in that area.

2012 Pro-Angler
2011 Pro-Angler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Norm! Looking forward to seeing you in Venice!