Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It seems many of us have had difficulty in getting our livewell to properly prime. I have a solution that is not too expensive (less than $20) and super easy to do. Basically just attached a priming bulb to a 3" piece of hose (1" outer diameter 3/4" inner). This allows me to also fill the tank at the baitshop and not have everything leak out. It's awesome, works really well and you can leave it in the tank (or disconnect it if you want). What I did was I cut off the nipple end of the black valve and opened it up with my dremel. I have a 3/4" to 3/4" barbed nylon splicer at the base of the bulb (I pulled out the red nipple plug at one end and put the nylon coupler in its place. Finally, I connected the grey piece to the pump. The priming bulb and stainless steel clamps can be found at boating supply shops (don't pay more than $10 for this) and get the largest opening you can find. The hose, the nylon splicer and the grey piece were all at lowes or Home Depot. If you are overseas, try your local hardware shop. Here's one site selling the bulb cheap

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_13901_-1?N=582920992+4294967157

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hate replying to my own post, but another thing you can do of course is just eliminate the small bit of hose and connect the bulb directly to the grey piece. It just wouldn't give you as much clearance if you wanted to pre-fill the tank at the bait shop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't had any trouble yet but I appreciate you sharing your creative solution. It will come in handy if/when I do.

_____
_<>-+ copterchief