Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, so the owners manual for my new PA says that it should be "stored flat, standing up on either end, or suspended in the air". I have seen advice that for long term storage you should not leave it resting on the hull, but should flip it over and store it on the rails. My situation is that I have my PA stored at my cottage and pretty much just get to use it a couple of weekends each month. I have it in the garage so sun exposure should not be a problem. But in order to store it on the rails, you have to take the seat off (and then put it back on and re-align the rudder when getting ready for use), which significantly erodes on-water time. So I was wondering if it would be OK to jus rest the hull on a partly inflated air mattress on the garage floor when not in use. This would probably distribute the weight across the hull better than the "official" cradles, would be pretty cheap and quick. Anybody see a problem with this? Any other suggestions that do not involve major carpentry work to build a hanging storage system?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's an idea I've never heard - but seems like it would work ok - the reason we say not to leave it sitting right-side-up is to mimimize the chances of the bottom deforming. Its especially bad if it rests on two crossbars as this will point load and definately cause dents to form. (hence the cradle use instead) Even if you do get a dent in a kayak its not the end of the world - They're easy to fix.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi and welcome to the forum Jim-MI! I've stored my PA using the same concept, resting right side up on a feather bed which sits atop one of those egg carton style foam mattresses. It sits in my basement where the temps are quite low and less likely to deform. I'm confident this will be sufficient support for the short term until I either purchase a set of cradles, which I'm awaiting some responses to in my last post "Hobie Pro Angler Cradles" or custom make something on my own.
Does the MI in Jim-MI stand for Michigan? If so, I'm curious to know where as I am also a MI resident, living just southeast of Lansing. If you fish the Great Lakes you may have heard the latest decision of the Supreme Court's refusal to be involved in the closing of the IL. Locks. SCARY!!!! I guess we better get out there and fish these great Lakes before all there is to catch are ASIAN CARP!!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GR8-Laker - Thanks for confirming that this approach works for you. I will probably try the air mattress unless someone jumps in with other advice. And yes, I am in Michigan. I fish in the Charlevoix-Petoskey area, on Lake MI and some of the larger inland lakes (Walloon, Charlevoix, etc). Just getting started at kayak fishing, so not many tall tales to tell about my adventures (or misadventures) yet. Looking forward to fishing some new waters with my PA this summer. I figure that by the time the judges and politicians decide to close the door on the Asian Carp, it will typically be too late, and then they can spend many-fold more of our tax $$$ on remediation. Lake Michigan was never meant to flow into the Mississippi, and this impending ecological disaster is just another example of the Army Corp of Engineers trying to outsmart Mother Nature.
Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great area you're in Jim-MI, my family has a place on Round Lake and I wish I could get up there more often. I hope to get up there a few times this Summer. I'm currently planning a 3 week solo trip along the north shore of Lake Superior during late July/ early August and Charlevoix will be my pit stop both going and returning.
You're going to become addicted to the kayak fishing, especially with the PA. What a hoot it would be to get into the run during the Fall!! I hear the Cement Plant has some great offerings that time of year. Perhaps one day we can go out and do some tandem PA-ing!
Here's to Tall Tales, Adventures and Misadventures and may all your journeys bring you safely home.
Enjoy your new PA,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GR8 Laker - I'm jealous of your planned expedition - sounds like a great trip. I have fished the cut by the cement plant in CHX fall for several years now, and it is a very good spot for the fall salmon run. The PA will let me get into those areas where the fish always seem to be jumping, just out of reach of my waders! Let me know if you are going to be there this fall, maybe we can connect some weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim-MI,
I doubt you'd be jealous of the credit card debt that I've accumulated as a result of planning this expedition. I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end. I hope to do this every year until I'm not capable of doing it any longer, at which point I'll have to invest in an Evolve to get me through a few more years. Beyond that, I haven't seen any posts on how to rig a PA with a Hover Round.LOL!
I can't think of a better way to spend a Fall weekend. I'll look forward to staying in touch and getting together to pedal our way into the center of one of those Salmon runs.
Also, I'm anxious to see what you come up with in terms of your hammock/netting storage support for your PA. Sounds interesting! I'm going ahead with a set of PA cradles and will keep you up to date on how that works out.
Be well,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just curious, did the foam mattress storage setup work for you? I am also considering this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Steve -
As mentioned in my PM to you, I did not go with the air mattress. I found some heavy duty soft spongy closed cell foam at a flea market. The guy selling it had lots of leftover pieces that are used in automotive interiors (seating, roof padding, etc). My foam is about 3" thick and provides very nice padding. I have had no problems with hull deformation using this stuff. Probably more pressure points than with the air mattress idea, but never needs inflating and never leaks, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get some of the large 4 inch pool noodles and set them parallel on the floor. Sit the boat, hull down, upon them. Space so that the noodles are in the hull troughs. That should be the best possible way to eliminate hull deformation when storing your PA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I might be doing it wrong, but this works for me.

Have a outback stored like this for 3 years in 100+ temps. No damage.

Yak go's in the hammock then hoisted up. I got the yak in the trailer right now or I would take a picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim_MI wrote:
But in order to store it on the rails, you have to take the seat off (and then put it back on and re-align the rudder when getting ready for use), which significantly erodes on-water time.

Why would you have to re-align the rudder when you remove and then reinstall the seat? I take my seat off every time I store my PA (mine is stored upside down on a platform lift in my garage) as well as every time I transport it on top of my vehicle. I've never needed to realign the rudder. As long as the control is clipped back in the same place on the seat each time, you shouldn't need to re-align anything.

Last edited by TDK on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If space on the floor is not problem then this is a great idea... Should work better then all the other storage suggestions combined. Good luck and let us know how you like the air mattress.