Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trax
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Currently have a heavy duty cart with the black hard wheels, which really bogs down in anything soft. Looking for PA owners with the Trax and have used them in sand and marsh areas and how they proformed. Wanted some reviews before putting out the two hundred. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Trax
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Trax-2 cart with the low pressure inflatable wheeleez. It does well on hard surfaces, OK on firm sand, OK on soft marshy grass surfaces, but is still a bit difficult in soft dry sand. I am sure it is better than hard rubber tires in sand, but given the choice of a beach launch across 25 yards of sand or pedalling another few hundred yards to a concrete boat ramp, I go for the ramp. The only problem I have had was one flat tire due to a breakdown in the rubber with some fine cracks and consequent leak. The cart is only used for launching, and is stored in a garage wen not in use, so I have no idea why one tire would go bad like this within the first year. Hobie replaced the tire on warranty and there have been no problems since.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank Jim thats the kind of report I was looking for, I saw and felt the wheels and wondered about the durability of the material. If you came across a random piece of glass it would be trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use the large wheeleez cart, with the largest wheels they have. I've added the rail kit too, this gives better support. Without the rail kit the bottom of the kayak collapses some and the wheels drag on the hull.

Have used it in soft loose sand with no problems, floats over it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had the trax 2, switched to the wheeleez. A couple advantages...

• don't have to flip it on it's side to put it on the cart. Just lift it onto the cart.
• I've left it on the wheeleez cart for storage without incident.
• better balance fore and aft so you carry less weight

You can get the rail kit, or just cut a couple pieces of PVC for it. Either way, you definitely need to do that part.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh yeah...

Wheeleez "upgraded" the wheel material last year. The older wheels were made of PVC. They have a tread pattern on them. The newer wheels are made of polyurethane and simply have a rough texture to them. I have the older ones, and haven't had a problem, but everyone tells me to get the newer wheels. Guess I'll got to them when I wear out the old ones.

BTW... This applies to both the trax 2 and wheeleez cart.