Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's amazing stuff. Looks great and functional.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Keeleazy looks like exactly what I've been looking for. The repeated launch and return to concrete launch ramps are taking their toll on the nose of my PA. Nice to see it comes in a yellow as well. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
J3 ........ That's the best idea I've seen in a long time. How does it attach to the YAK ....... Does the plastic stick to it or do you have to use the 3M tape. What are those white strips for

Hi Memory maker so sorry for the delay, haven't been in the forum for a while. Yes you can stick the plastic to the Kayak while still warm, my own preference was to use heavy duty outdoor\waterproof 3M double side tape so I can remove it whenever I want or replace it in a few years (or as needed).
So far holding up great.
In regards to the white strips not sure which pic you referring too... matte scotch tape? The was to prevent the plastic from adhering to the hull while shaping the piece.
Hope it helps, feel free to ask any questions!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used easykeel the first year I had my Pa 14 and found it was chewed up pretty extensively over the course of the year

I built my own keel protector using 3 inch electrical conduit heated it up with a heat gun and secured it with extreme hold outdoor double faced tape looks good should last a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought some EasyKeel to try out on my PA14 recently, I don't think it's ideal for high rub/drag areas. (Yes, I know you aren't suppose to drag any kayak, but sometime's it isn't avoidable). I wore through the 1st strip (I double layed) the first time I loaded/unloaded on a concrete ramp. The nose didn't rub/drag more than a foot or two and that was enough to completely rub through one layer.

I just built a nose cone out of two part epoxy putty, I'll report back on how that does. I'll likely put a layer of JB weld 2 part epoxy over top of that if it shows any excessive wear and tear.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NCAngler wrote:
I bought some EasyKeel to try out on my PA14 recently, I don't think it's ideal for high rub/drag areas. (Yes, I know you aren't suppose to drag any kayak, but sometime's it isn't avoidable). I wore through the 1st strip (I double layed) the first time I loaded/unloaded on a concrete ramp. The nose didn't rub/drag more than a foot or two and that was enough to completely rub through one layer.

I just built a nose cone out of two part epoxy putty, I'll report back on how that does. I'll likely put a layer of JB weld 2 part epoxy over top of that if it shows any excessive wear and tear.

Any images so far?
I've been debating between trying the melted PVC vs making an epoxy cover myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dhodge87 wrote:

Any images so far?
I've been debating between trying the melted PVC vs making an epoxy cover myself.

The two part epoxy putty that I tried first wasn't enough, it started to rub off on the first use. I layered JB weld 2 part epoxy over it and that appears to be very strong so far. No signs of wear after a few trips. I haven't put it through the paces yet (dragging on concrete) but going to a place this week that makes some contact unavoidable, I'll report back! The JB weld overlay feels like it's going to be the solution so far.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NCAngler wrote:
Dhodge87 wrote:

Any images so far?

The two part epoxy putty that I tried first wasn't enough, it started to rub off on the first use. I layered JB weld 2 part epoxy over it and that appears to be very strong so far. No signs of wear after a few trips. I haven't put it through the paces yet (dragging on concrete) but going to a place this week that makes some contact unavoidable, I'll report back! The JB weld overlay feels like it's going to be the solution so far.

Curious to hear your results. I have Keeleaszy but I know it isn't going to last long.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish mostly in the ocean where landings are not always as soft as I would like them to be.
What I did for my previous kayaks, and what I'm going to do for my brand new PA 120 360 - is to make some nice little kevlar fiberglass keel protector for the nose of the kayak.

All you need is some unwoven kevlar fabric (you can buy it by square foot on the eBay) and a can of fiberglass resin. The complete cost of the materials is about  $40. Also you will need a pair of sharp heavy duty scissors to cut a custom strip of kevlar fabric (it's really hard to cut!).
I usually cut the strip in the shape of a very sharp angle triangle 24" long, 6-8" wide at the bottom and 3-4" wide at the top. All corners are rounded.

1) Sand the area you are going to apply the protector with some coarse sandpaper.
2) Protect the neighboring area of the hull from overspills (I use self-stick carpet protector film and masking tape, it works perfectly)
3) wet the area with FG resin
4) apply the pre-cut kevlar strip
5) use chip brush to heavily saturate kevlar with resin.
6) let it half-harden (15 minutes or so)
7) apply another 2-3 layers of resin
8) let it harden completely
9) sand it if needed.

The kill protector will stay in place and will protect the soft polyethylene of your kayak's nose for at least a year. To maintain and repair it, you simply need to add a couple of layers of resin and, if it got seriously worn, more kevlar.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish mostly in the ocean where landings are not always as soft as I would like them to be.
What I did for my previous kayaks, and what I'm going to do for my brand new PA 120 360 - is to make some nice little kevlar fiberglass keel protector for the nose of the kayak.

All you need is some unwoven kevlar fabric (you can buy it by square foot on the eBay) and a can of fiberglass resin. The complete cost of the materials is about  $40. Also you will need a pair of sharp heavy duty scissors to cut a custom strip of kevlar fabric (it's really hard to cut!).
I usually cut the strip in the shape of a very sharp angle triangle 24" long, 6-8" wide at the bottom and 3-4" wide at the top. All corners are rounded.

1) Sand the area you are going to apply the protector with some coarse sandpaper.
2) Protect the neighboring area of the hull from overspills (I use self-stick carpet protector film and masking tape, it works perfectly)
3) wet the area with FG resin
4) apply the pre-cut kevlar strip
5) use chip brush to heavily saturate kevlar with resin.
6) let it half-harden (15 minutes or so)
7) apply another 2-3 layers of resin
8) let it harden completely
9) sand it if needed.

The keel protector will stay in place and will protect the soft polyethylene of your kayak's nose for at least a year. To maintain and repair it, you simply need to add a couple of layers of resin and, if it got seriously worn, more kevlar.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
NCAngler wrote:
Dhodge87 wrote:

Curious to hear your results. I have Keeleaszy but I know it isn't going to last long.

So far, the JB Weld Putty nose cone is holding up well! I've launched 4-6 times on concrete ramps with a small amount of rubbing/dragging each time, but no sign of wearing through the 1/8" (ish) layer I put on. It is definitely wearing down some, but very moderately. Even if I have to re-apply the coating every so often, it's a $8 fix per year, which I'm happy with.