Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Disclaimer: I've read every post I could find on the subject and am still not convinced what I should do.

I live in an apartment with very limited outdoor space. What is the best option:

a) Stand the pro angler on its side and leaning up against the building with its cover on
b) Attach the cradles to a couple of 2 X 4 to keep it permanently upright and more easily accessible also with its cover on.

Pro and Cons of either. Any cheap alternative?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The best way and recommended way to store your pa is on it's bottom. For a cheaper alternative to the cradles, many of us are using pvc 2" along the scupper line of the boat. The flex of the pipe will contour itself to the boat.

Here is Tom's video with an explanation on the use of PVCs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPd5n83lY5k[/youtube]

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much. I assume the PVC is attached at the back and loose at the front so it can flex in any direction as you stated?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I always thought the recommendation was to store the PA upside down.

I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea to store the PA on a regular trailer? Am I right in this?
Current plan is to just slip a piece of plywood between the PA and the trailer to give it a bit more support. Maybe even add some pool noodles with a small PVC core to help distribute the load.

I'm especially worried about hull deformation since I live in Florida and during the summer the garage can break 95F on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I live in south Georgia (2 miles from Florida state line) and I can relate to the hot summer temperatures. I keep my two Hobies stored in the garage when not in use. While that prevents them from being exposed to the sun, it doesn't keep them from the heat as garages (especially closed ones) can heat up during the summer.

My PA is stored on the PVC pipes that a lot of folks use for trailers and storage. I will be watching this summer as the days get hotter to see if there is any impact on the PA resting on the PVC in the warm garage.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Thu May 17, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

gatorling wrote:
I always thought the recommendation was to store the PA upside down.

I think you are correct. Everything I've seen says store your PA upside down, on its side, or in the special cradles. It sounds like folks have had good luck with the PVC supports in storing the PA right side up. You just don't want it sitting with the hull flat on the floor, ground or whatever. I store mine upside down no a lift in my garage and have had no issues. My brother flips his over and stores it outside on a platform under his deck.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are several posts on the forum that have noted that seating on a hard flat surface for long periods of time may result in flattening of the bottom. I am sure these will flex back to regular positions in the summer heat. Regarding upside down, I thought the same, but somewhere in this forum, someone noted that there could be issues with the side handles flexing. The stores that I have seen them in, the dealers have them standing straight up and resting on its rear. They told me that was the best way to store them.

For me, the PVC seems to be working great. Knock on wood, I haven't had any deformations from the sun at all.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=24056&hilit=storage%2C+hull%2C+dent

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks all for your input. I may put together a PVC and 2 X 4 concoction. It'll likely cost less than $25 versus the $220 for the cradles. My space is extremely limited and outdoors. I'll also be chaining it to a tree. Fingers crossed.