Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today when coming in from a fruitless day on the water, I noticed that one of the plastic posts on the side of the spine of my MD was broken off. These go in a groove below where the drive locks in and I'm guessing they are there for alignment reinforcement. Don't really know if it happened today or previously.

First question, should I replace the spine of the drive? I tend to think these things were engineered with a purpose but don't know for sure how necessary they really are. Has anyone else done this?

Next, the part is only $25 so no big deal there, but it looks like a total disassembly of the drive is necessary to replace the spine. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but does this require any special tools? Is it a royal pain or pretty straightforward and simple? Are there any videos or manuals available (asking before checking YouTube).

Last, if I have to replace the spine is it worth the extra $40 to replace the Drive Drum with the newest version with bearing? Any special notes here?

Any special tips or advice?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

sgvarn wrote:
First question, should I replace the spine of the drive? I tend to think these things were engineered with a purpose but don't know for sure how necessary they really are. Has anyone else done this?
The Drive alignment pin is only there as an insertion guide -- doesn't affect performance. If you still have a half pin it should work fine. I cut the pins off entirely to enable the newer Drives to fit my older boats. Otherwise, the pins don't affect performance in any way. They were added a few years ago to keep some users from putting the Drive in tilted too far forward to operate properly.
Quote:
Last, if I have to replace the spine is it worth the extra $40 to replace the Drive Drum with the newest version with bearing? Any special notes here?
IMO, better to wait and do the full upgrade later when something significant breaks or wears out.
Quote:
Any special tips or advice?
Just ignore it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The alignment pin should just knock out of the spine and the new one knock in, I think it has a raised lip on it to stop it going to far and therefore only knocks out one way. It has splines to 'bite into' the spine but a bit of loctite might help. As roadrunner said it is just to help align the drive when fitting to the yak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do those alignment pins also resist leverage force transferring onto to front well nib when for example you hit an object with fins?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No I don't think so, they are only made of plastic and are to make sure that the drive goes in the 'hole' squarely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

zarbs wrote:
The alignment pin should just knock out of the spine and the new one knock in, I think it has a raised lip on it to stop it going to far and therefore only knocks out one way. It has splines to 'bite into' the spine but a bit of loctite might help. As roadrunner said it is just to help align the drive when fitting to the yak

No, these are molded in posts. They don't attach. You may be thinking of a different model or part. Here's the part on ACK website:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/195 ... Spine.html

If you look at the top view image you will see them clearly. I like Roadrunners reply but (no offense to Roadrunner) like to get several opinions. His makes sense to me but if someone has a different view I'd like to hear it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The pin or shaft running through the spine can be replaced. It pushes out from one side. But as others have mentioned, it has no structural purpose - it is only an alignment aid for getting the mirage drive inserted squarely into the drive well. It carries no load.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

zarbs wrote:
The alignment pin should just knock out of the spine and the new one knock in,
Tom Kirkman wrote:
The pin or shaft running through the spine can be replaced. It pushes out from one side.
You gentlemen have an earlier version of the alignment pin. Sgvarn has the current model Drive with the alignment pin molded into a flared spine. It is not independently removable 8)
sgvarn wrote:
I like Roadrunners reply but (no offense to Roadrunner) like to get several opinions.
None taken. It's always good to question things and get different opinions. I've been wrong before. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You gentlemen have an earlier version of the alignment pin.

Correct I do have an early version spine judging by the pictures

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
You gentlemen have an earlier version of the alignment pin. Sgvarn has the current model Drive with the alignment pin molded into a flared spine. It is not independently removable 8) :

i used a hacksaw to cut the pins off a current model spine to fit my old V1 adventure drive slot. So they are backwards compatable with a bit of butchery. Drive works fine without any pins.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of the plastic molded in alignment pins of my new 2017 MD broke off today the first time I used my new 2017 Outback. Is it ok to just leave it and be more careful when I'm inserting the MD keeping it properly lined up, etc.????

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:50 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

docbillc wrote:
One of the plastic molded in alignment pins of my new 2017 MD broke off today the first time I used my new 2017 Outback. Is it ok to just leave it and be more careful when I'm inserting the MD keeping it properly lined up, etc.????
Yes -- the guide pins are not structurally necessary. When inserting the Drive, you should never have to force it. Try setting it in the drivewell and rocking it forward and backward with a slight downward pressure. It should drop right in (make sure the water is deep enough that the fins don't contact the bottom). Once in, try moving it left and right to make sure it is locked in correctly. 8)