Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok duct seal is in place. I will try 2 different methods. 1 will be with the transducer directly on the hull with the putty around it. Second method will be to add a small amount of water in the duct seal dam put tramsducer in putty sealing the water inside. Pics and results to come. The rains didnt let up today so i didnt have a chance to test. Maybe tomorrow evening or tuesday evening i will get some testing in. I also made a video review of the scotty 244L flush mount and will post it soon.

Here is the putty so far. Not much but its a start

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok so surfing the internet is going to get me in trouble. I have yet another experiment to try. I plucked this off of another forum. Its a puck style transducer in a wet well. This idea seems intriguing. To me. What are yalls thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought some duct seal yesterday to try. The last pic with the PVC looks real cool. If it holds the water well that's the way I will go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The pvc was glued with marine goop or something similar. The guy used the duct seal as backup just in case of leaks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Still very windy from tropical storm debbie. Havent been able to get out to test.

In other news, i ordered the puck style transducer and will test this method also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No updates as of now...work has been crazy and honestly i havent had time to even think about the kayak. Hooefully some updates soon...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any updates on mounting the structure scan transducer?

Post subject: Re: My rigged 2012 PA 14
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A tip of the hat to gsellers for the paddle grip idea. Just picked some up on your recommendation & they are great.

gsellers1245 wrote:
Its called the quick fist mini grip. Its not sold as a paddle holder but for tools and such. It is UV protected and makes an ideal paddle holder. With the hobie paddle it fits snug and it will latch on the first notch on the grip. That are really strong and cheap to boot. I found mine on ebay for $4 each.

Now i just realized from the pics i need to clean the garage...lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

for all you guys wanting to do the liquid bed install of your transducer (i like that PVC device--very clever), of course water is the easiest to obtain, and retain, but if you find there is a pin-hole leak in your liquid bed, and your water leaks out, no need to freak out and rip it all out and start over. or if you just want something a little more stable, read on. as i elaborated on in my 'everything you ever wanted to know about transducers, but didn't care to ask' post, any liquid or gel will work with ultrasound. (jello works fine as long as there is no air). but, for the purposes here i have a great recommendation for you guys--KY jelly. this gel will not 'run off' like water, or leak out as quickly as water might--if you have that leak i mentioned. the KY is water soluble, its safe for the boat, safe to the environment, is readably available and cheap. it still needs to have no air bubbles, but since its a 'gel', you can press the transducer down into the bed and push out air bubbles. KY also has an antiseptic in it.
for a more professional transducer experience with your liquid bed, you can use actual ultrasound coupling gel--or 'couplant'. you can buy it by the quart or 55 gallon drum for your transducer needs, and--you can use it for, er, 'personal lube' as well. and everyone could use a 55 gallon of sex lube. and the ultragel has antiseptic too.

http://www.magnaflux.com/Products/Coupl ... fault.aspx

cheers.
drew