Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the clutch rotor on the 35 and 50 cc engines use a 76mm clutch rotor and the smaller 22 thru 30 cc engines use a 54mm clutch rotor. the clutch bell i got from island hopper was out of round and u can see the marks on the inside of the clutch bell where it was hitting and the rest of the bell was not.by using a smaller prop the load on the clutch is much less. if u can get the engine to idle at 2000 rpm or less they have heavy duty clutch shoes that weigh twice as much as the stock shoes and engage at 2000 rpm. these 35cc thru 50cc brushcutters with a saw blade can cut woody stems or small branches up to about an inch and a half to 2 inches in diameter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I developed and printed (3d printer) a prop that fits the watersnake T18 with more pitch that will get you to 6 MPH.

The watersnake T18 is perfect for all Hobie mirage drives. This stock prop was made to push 2 big'ole boys in a jon boat at about 3.5 mph.

It works ok at 3 mph but as far as efficiency simply due to the drag on the prop at each revolution it is good for what the prop was developed for. By increasing the pitch and keeping the same RPM's (1400 rpms on high on T18) you will get 6 mph.

We have only tested this prop one evening so far. I am using 3 12V 10AH batteries. We are using GPS on our phones to get fairly accurate speed. The distance is another thing. I am unsure of distance with the original prop. But a fairly accurate distance with a 12V 10AH battery is near 1.5 miles. This is not 100% accurate because the testing was during slightly windy situations in a Pro Angler 12'.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Long fin..... Is there Any chance of a pic or better yet, an .stl file of the 3D printed prop??

"A wet bird never flies at night"

Last edited by NINCO1 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any reason you don't want to mount your electric motor on a motor mount at the back? I find it's easier to raise when in shallow water and you can mount a larger electric motor.. I've mounted I 34lb watersnake on the back of my 2015 PA 14 and it gets along really well.. The mount is aluminium, super light weight and just uses the scupper holes behind the seat..

Here's how I mount it.. http://youtu.be/dhYxSuwOIDs

I've also got a video with it inaction and the speed if you want to see it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Longfin,

It would be great if you could post a pic or link to the .stil file... I have brought a watersnake T18 to use on my AI and I have a 3D printer at my work I can use :-)

Cheers,
Neal