Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I feel like as kayl owners we have a natural inclination to keep our kayaks in as pristine condition as possible. However it is inevitable that we will get some scratch bump or sent through normal use. But as an owner, how concerned are you at having a scratched up bottom? Do you think it will affect the performance of your kayak?

I have a 17t on a trailer (w cradles) and as you may know it can be a pain to launch yourself. Out at Lake Mead, the best fishing spot doesn't have a boat launch nearby so using my trailer to launch isn't easy. I need to do it from mud and rocks and even then the best I can do it get it 10-20 feet from water. That means if I am by myself I have to do some dragging across rocks and the bottom will most certainly be scratched. Is sacrificing the bottom of your kayak worth the benefit of launching in the perfect spot?

I know all the smaller models have Dolly's but the 17t dolly is not only huge but over $500. Wondering if all this concern about scratches really is just a cosmetic concern or not?

Just curious how my fellow Hobie owners feel about the bottoms of their yaks.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nope, it's the price of owning a yak. If your yak is not beat up a little, your not fishing hard. You bought it to use it and get fish. If I had to drag it thru the mud but I could be on top of fish, sign me up right now. Good luck, use it don't abuse it. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No concern here, I use the he!! out of it. Now having said that, I don't try to abuse it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't purposely go to the extreme of preventing any scratches. It's a kayak use the bugger.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was concerned with scratches appearing on the bottom of my new PA14. I noticed I was even getting some scratches from the cradles. Running my hand along the hull gave the impression the scratching was a serious issue...however flipping the kayak and examining even the most severe-feeling scratch, indicates an incredibly small surrender of the overall hull thickness. So I conclude the concern is far worse than the reality...given that no kamikaze actions will be part of the equation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As noted before, unless the kayak stays unused, scratches will happen and in no way compromise the kayak.
You can always protect the first 3 feet of the bow, but the hull material is subject to scratching and that is just par for the course.....use it, scratch it, all is good and don't lose any sleep over it.