Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PA Sinks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

[quote="Jbernier]Roll the boat over on it's side, remove the drive, then roll it back onto it's bottom - that's the process, simple.[/quote]

First off, I do not own a PA, but I have used them and have helped at demo days loading and unloading them, so I am fully aware of their hullweights in real life. With that said, I hate to disagree with a Hobie Rep on this topic, but flipping a 120lb vessel on it's side is not as easy as is made out to be, especially since most of us using Hobies typically have them rigged up fairly well or at a minimum are carrying tackle and other gear stowed in various spots on the kayak/vessel.. Turning the PA on it's side would only serve to spill any loose contents into the surf zone and potentially lose more gear. Not to mention the fact that assuming people have leashed their drives, you would potentially dump your Mirage Drive into the sand and increase the amount of maintenance you need to do on it when you return home.

I find it much simpler to just use a C-TUG and avoid the whole tipping of the hull or damage to the scuppers. Just my .02 worth.

Oh and for those interested in the PA that sank here in the Hampton Roads area, it ends up that the PA had a hole in the hull afterall. I guess there really is something to be said for actually testing out a kayak before buying it. It's a shame that it had to happen but at least he is safe now and recovered the PA.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

Post subject: Re: PA Sinks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are many ways to do the same thing - my suggestion is only one of them - (there really isn't a right or wrong answer)...depends on your personal preference - I roll them on their side, yes, even the PA - no I don't leave a livewell in my PA - it's empty.

Hobie users are the best source of info. I was asked a question and I replied with my opinion, that's all it is, it isn't the gospel, so feel free to do it another way.

:)

Have a Hobie Day!