Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I often see pictures of guys hitting the salt water with 8 - 10 poles on board a PA...they are poking out everywhere. I have trouble fishing with more than one or two poles at a time. Are you really using all or most of them when you hit the water? If so, how are you using them...are you trolling 4 or so at a time.

Just curious...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry a max of 4 rods. I have one rigged for topwater, another with a paddle tail/jerk bait, another with a fishfinder rig and the last one rigged with a cajun float.

The whole point is to have a rod rigged and ready to go when the situation presents itself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry 4 rods if I'm fishing in a tournament, otherwise I carry 3 most of the time. I have 3 freshwater and 3 saltwater setups that I use. I don't use the rod storage holders except for transporting everything to/from the fishing spot or unless I have a rod/reel issue on the water and just store that rod in the internal rod holder tube so it's out of the way.

I do carry my Wang SOP in the top left rod holder when not deployed. Fits perfect there.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have 4 rods normally on board based on time of the year.

1- tin of some sort
2- popper of some sort
3&4 spoons for trolling.
Maybe a fifth for snagging bunker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fish exclusively offshore and normally carry 4 big fish rods. If I am going to a Rig/platform offshore, I will, also, take a smaller bait rod.

I normally fish with two rods, one on the bottom and one with a balloon float on top. If it is a some what slow day and the fish are all on the bottom, I may fish with three rods on the bottom (depends on the currents).

One of the reasons I carry so many rods, is if one fails or I have to cut a leader, I can get another bait back out while I am re-rigging or in the case of failure, I have a quick back up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I'm a bit unfamiliar with an area I'll usually bring out two rods so I don't have to re-tie as much when switching between different plastics..
but if I know an area fairly well and have a good idea of what works best, I try to go out with only one rod.

I couldn't imagine bringing more than 3 rods out on the water with me at once. Sounds like a nightmare.

Usually have one rod rigged up with a top water and another rigged up with a suspending twitch bait. Use the top waters to find the fish and when I zero in on them I start throwing out the twitch bait. Works great for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

3 rods 3 rigs= more time fishing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be interested to see if you get a good answer as to why you'd take 8 or 10 rods with you. It may help me understand the contents of my wife's purse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I usually have 5 or 6, that's what fits in the horizontal tubes on the PA14. As a bass fisherman, I'm used to 8 - 10 rods out on the front deck of my bass boat. I've also been conditioned to prefer picking up another rod rigged with what I want to throw rather than changing a bait. I usually have 4 baitcasters and a spinning rod or two, depending upon season and how I plan to fish that day. The great thing about the PA IS the horizontal rod storage - the rods are out of my way, whether they get used or not, and not sticking up behind me.