Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know many of you have already received the new XL tank and just wondering how you guys like it....good, bad, better than original, etc. I'm scheduled to get mine this week and wanted to get reactions!!

Thanks

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a friend pick mine up from my dealer (2 hours away) so when I meet him this Saturday to fish saltwater, I will have it to take home. Will probably not use it until I get it home and test it out on my local water in the subdivision. So far I've seen 2 other Livewell XLs online with black hatches. Until I see it...the jury is still out on the white hatch. I hope it's a closer color match to the tank than what I have seen. I think the black hatch looks better. When you spend over $400 for an accessory, cosmetics can be important. Again...will wait and see how it looks when I see it this weekend. I hope I don't end up spending an additional $95 for a black hatch on this livewell because the hatch does not blend well with the tank color and the black rod holders.

I can understand Matt's statement about temperature and it being white, but the first livewell had a black hatch. I will try and post my findings as to how well it works after next weekend.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Used my new XL and loved it! Launched at 3 a.m. made 6 large 8-10" macs for bait and ran the tank on the low 6 gal. setting and the macs thrived with the last bait coming out around 11:30. No problem with tank what so ever. Primed instantly,ran all day without fail and most importantly the black hatch had no effect on mackerel. On the water temp that day was 86*- water temp 73*. I think as long as its constantly pumping water in there will be no issue with heat but any tank regardless of color hatch not pumping water will heat up, some faster then others. My favorite thing about this tank is the mounting options for rod holders. The new switch is so simple and effective. Props to Hobie for another stellar product!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hellster,

Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to using mine. I might add a couple more rod holders in addition to the 2 that come on it. But I want to add a Hawg Trough on the side or back like my YakAttack Blackpack so I'll need to mount those 2 black mounting clips for the ruler. For my freshwater bass fishing being able to keep live shiners onboard will be a lot easier. I will use it for live bait on my saltwater outings as well. Appreciate the great picture. Glad to hear it works so well! :D

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Man that's great to hear!! Just picked mine up today and mounted the rod holder tubes....I like the new switch as well. How much of the clear tube did you trim off for the PA 14? I'm having trouble getting the tubing off the connector to cut it to right length.....if needed

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cut 1 3/4" off intake tube but test fit before cutting as all tubes don't come the same length!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm hoping to try out my new tank this weekend and hope mine works as well as others have said it would!! On a previous thread here, several people have said that if you cut the pump off, then the tank would drain back out of the inlet intake. I definitely would run the tank all the time with some salt water baits but when freshwater fishing and using a tank full of small crappie minnows, I'm not sure I need the tank running 100% of the time.......I'm just curious what would happen if an 3/4" inline no return or check valve (like the picture attached) is put on the outlet side of the pump connected to the current hose that runs thru the partition would do. According to the manufacturer, this inline check can be attached to the existing 3/4" tubing and is designed to prevent backflow or the need for re-priming. This is sold at a lot of Marine hardware shops and is designed to hold and prevent water from returning out thru the pump......perhaps M Miller can respond or others if you've tried it....well for some reason I can't get the icon to attach a picture to come up.

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

as far as operation, my Livewell XL works great. No issues. While a check valve would be great, it's fine with the small cap to close off the pump side.

A little disappointed in the build quality control. Not all the 14 nylon nuts and screws that held the hatch down were even close to being tightened down. I took the hatch off to paint it and of the 14 screws, only 2 had washers on the back side. It's also interesting to note that the 2 rod holders mounted from the factory have screws at the top and bottom to securely hold the rod olders. The instructions show only using one screw on the top dimple mark are and no screw on the bottom. Why the disparity? So now I have to find the same hardware so the 2 extra rod holders can be mounted like the factory ones. they only provide 2 screws, washer, rubber gaskets and nylon nuts. Should have 4 of each to do it the right way.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SRAces wrote:
as far as operation, my Livewell XL works great. No issues. While a check valve would be great, it's fine with the small cap to close off the pump side.

A little disappoint in the build quality control. Not all the 14 nylon nuts and screws that held the hatch down were even close to being tightened down. I took the hatch off to paint it and of the 14 screws, only 2 had washers on the back side. It's also interesting to note that the 2 rod holders mounted from the factory have screws at the top and bottom to securely hold the rod olders. The instructions show only using one screw on the top dimple mark are and no screw on the bottom. Why the disparity? So now I have to find the same hardware so the 2 extra rod holders can be mounted like the factory ones. they only provide 2 screws, washer, rubber gaskets and nylon nuts. Should have 4 of each to do it the right way.

........... Well what do you expect for a $400 accessory from Hobie ......... Why should it be different from every other accessory Hobie sells ........
A baitwell costing $400 ........ Hobie should send someone out to make it right for that price

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:

A little disappointed in the build quality control. Not all the 14 nylon nuts and screws that held the hatch down were even close to being tightened down. I took the hatch off to paint it and of the 14 screws, only 2 had washers on the back side. It's also interesting to note that the 2 rod holders mounted from the factory have screws at the top and bottom to securely hold the rod olders. The instructions show only using one screw on the top dimple mark are and no screw on the bottom. Why the disparity? So now I have to find the same hardware so the 2 extra rod holders can be mounted like the factory ones. they only provide 2 screws, washer, rubber gaskets and nylon nuts. Should have 4 of each to do it the right way.

I love mine and I thought it was strange that I only received 2 screws, washers and nuts when you needed 4 total!! I have the check valve on order and should be here Tuesday. It's only $16.00 but I think it may work. I found a white thru hull fitting that screws on the threaded end of the pump and has a barbed outlet for the 3/4" hose that I'm putting a short piece on and then the check. I'll post pictures later and give an update!!

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finished up with painting the lid tonight. Got the Hawg trough mounts installed as well. I Need to make some Velcro wraps so the excess loose straps on the livewell can be rolled up and secured. Similar to how they are on the back of the Vantage seat. Never got to washing either PA this afternoon. Thunderstorms all afternoon.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

SRAces wrote:

The hatch on the Livewell is not a water tight seal, so tension of the fasteners is not critical. Not even all of the available fastener locations are used. I'll mention that to the engineers though.

These is a problem with the drawings showing the number of fasteners for the rod holders. That has been corrected. Should be two per and two sets for the spare 2 rod holders.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They are sweet tanks for sure. Just to much for anything under the PA 17. I have a PA 14 and after seeing it on the back of the 14 it just to much for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Bert Vega wrote:
They are sweet tanks for sure. Just to much for anything under the PA 17. I have a PA 14 and after seeing it on the back of the 14 it just to much for me.

You can use a lower level of water for smaller Kayaks. This is designed and tested for PA12, 14 and 17 use.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
SRAces wrote:

The hatch on the Livewell is not a water tight seal, so tension of the fasteners is not critical. Not even all of the available fastener locations are used. I'll mention that to the engineers though.

These is a problem with the drawings showing the number of fasteners for the rod holders. That has been corrected. Should be two per and two sets for the spare 2 rod holders.

Thanks Matt! I can understand it not having to be water tight. Love the livewell and look forward to using it on many trips! :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass