Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently, I purchased a PA12 and have only been out with it a couple of times - no issues. However, several other local PA yakkers have experienced Rudder Failure when the roll pin that holds the rudder into the hull fell out while on the water.

One of the PA12 yakker’s said, “Luckily it was an easy fix, but the roll pin that holds the rudder into the hull fell out while on the water today. It was easy to reinstall it, but using the half paddle as a rudder all the back to….”

Another said, “I’m not sure how it is made compared to a PA14, but I took my pin out and replaced it with a stainless steel cotter pin so it won’t fall out….”

Yet, another said, “Mine fell out twice so I replaced it with a SS cotter pin...”

Still, another, “Mine as well, cotter pin with extra in yak with screw driver, something u don’t want to deal with 3 miles offshore…”

Any one else have this happen before?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Having worked in Aviation for over 20 years, we have a VERY IMPORTANT RULE...ALWAYS remember to do your pre-flight check...Relating to the PA, you should ALWAYS do a quick walk-around, where you check things such as...The hull for gouges , cracks and/or deep scratches...The steering by dropping the rudder and cycling the steering lever through it's full range of movement...Then the rudder itself for nicks, gouges, the string's attachment with a good knot, rudder freedom of movement, and that the rudder pin is in good shape...Make sure the Drain plugs have their rubber gaskets and the plugs are screwed in all the way...Check any/all accessory mounts to make they are secure...Check all bungees and hatch seals for condition. I would also recommend performing a dry rig to check all electronics and their connections...And last but not least, I would make a check list for all your fishing equipment and safety gear so you never forget to bring anything. Nothing worse than getting a few miles offshore and realizing that you forgot to bring something important, like...BAIT? :oops: Never happened to me though :mrgreen:

It sounds like alot of work, but you should be able to do all those checks in less than 5 minutes. Its better to be safe than sorry... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 pm 
Hobie Team Member

After reading about rudder failures on the PA 12, (Having experienced it with my PA 14) I removed the steering access cover. To my surprise the split pin holding the steering cam on the rudder shaft was barely in the shaft. Less than 1/4 inch insertion. After carful inspection I found the split pin to be too large of a diameter to fit properly in the rudder shaft. I replaced the split pin with a 1/8" X 2" stainless cotter key. At least with that I stand a chance to make an "On The Water Repair". I did the same replacement with my PA 14, and it has lasted 3 years.

Thanks for the Heads up.

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had the same thing happen on my PA14. Hopefully Hobie comes out with a better option!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your feedback - now, I carry a "spare" SS Cotter Pin with me, as well!!