Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone had this experience? .... suddenly peddaling became effortless (no resistance when driving the pedal forward). Pulled out the Mirage Drive & found that one shaft had come completely loose from the sprocket. It was being held in place only by the clevis pin & spit ring...(thank you Hobie designers as otherwise this fin would be in Davey Jones' locker!)

So I pulled the fin off the mast, reinserted the mast into the sprocket & tried to tighten as best I could with my pliers while floating on the tide...then reinstalled the clevis pin & split ring. That got me by for an hour or so & then same thing happened again.

Once I got home & disassembled the fin I was able to tighten the mast better & use some loctite (threadlocker blue 242) on the threaded end. I went out the next day for a short period & it seems to be holding. I am worried about possibly the "squarish" shaped threads inside the sprocket might be stripped.

For some background, these fins take a frequent beating by oyster beds & sand bars that are just under the surface while I am drift fishing & I have cold "straightened" bent shafts in a vice a few times.

Any insight would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just had a similar issue on a Revo 13. I'd welcome any telltale tips for spot checking one's drive.

Who knows when our clevis pin vacated, but I'd expect my something like, 'Clevis pins in place, check' is revelant. :D

My wife and I were on a bay cruise Labor Day when she commented, 'Hey, the drive feels wrong.'

Upon stopping, she pulled the drive and did a quick look and noticed nothing out of sorts. The odd change of resistance in peddling continued.

Pulling the drive a second time and looking closer, we found a trailing edge clevis pin totally gone and the flipper hanging onto the mast by only its own friction. It was loose from the sprocket guard (where the clevis pin would be)and ready to drop once it worked itself down the mast.

Unlike the oringal post in this thread, our mast was still secure.

I'm a newbie with drive mechanics, but it seems the clevis pin took a "vacation" and allowed the flipper to work loose.

Photo top center shows holes in sproket guard and flipper where pin goes.

Ironic, we'd been kicking around the idea of beefing up a trip bag with some spare parts.... This is the exact sort of thing they'd be good for. I think I'll be heading down to OEX Sunset Beach or Southwinds in Irvine soon! :)

Possible replacement parts from Hobie illustrated PDF:
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/2012-spring-kayaking-fishing-pa-catalog_1.pdf

80010301 STANDARD "V2" Kit
020041 CLEVIS PIN
10860001 LOCK RING

MIRAGEDRIVE"V2" SPARE PARTS KIT I N C L U D ES:
A F I N, " V 2 "
MAST
"V2" SPROCKET,
LOC TITE
CHAIN
CLEVIS PIN AND RING
ZIPPERED POUCH

Last edited by Mongo Johnson on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Patriot, sounds like they got to the end of the loc-tite bottle when they put your masts in. Normally you won't get them to undo without a set of vice grips, and sometimes two sets.

Mongo, at a guess I'd say you've caught the split ring on something at one point, and either damaged it or pulled it off. A quick check to make sure they're moving freely should avoid a repeat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oatesy...I think you got it. After the loctite-ing, I hav ebeen on two 6 hour journeys thru the tidal creeks without a problem....thanks for your interest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the little parts I needed . . .

I found Austin Kayak as a source for itty bitty parts like Hobie Clevis pins and slip rings after missing my local dealer due to freeway traffic.

After some searching, Austin seemed to be the only vendor online that got that granular with Hobie parts. (I could be wrong, but their web presence was heavy.)

I hate NOT to give the local guy the biz as they give GREAT servcie, but for the dozen granular backup item I bought, it was just easier to find in the book and order via online.

I'll let ya know how the sale goes once the stuff arrives.