All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Night Fishing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just finished rigging the PA for night fishing

Post subject: Re: Night Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very nice Jerry! I was thinking of adding some green LED lights to the undersides of my mounting boards as well. What brand lights did you go with? Are they run to the same battery as your Lowrance unit?

I'm running a 7.5aH 12V battery right now buy my Humminbird 587HD DI will sure suck the juice down on a long day of fishing. Usually doesn't make a difference on recreational trips b/c I'm not on the water long enough to kill it but on tournament days 10-11 hours usually has me at a low battery warning.

If I installed the LED lights I'd probably have to find myself a 9aH 12V battery to run it on the same power as my sounder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, they are Optx Marine LED Ultra Thin Strips (West Marine). Their amp draw is 40mA which is next to nothing. I used the 8" on each side. If I had it to do over would probably go with th 12" strips. Thinking about adding another strip under the PA seat :D

I looked for the green lighting but all they had in these strips were the white, blue and red.

My next project is to add a USB charger for my phone and mount the bluetooth speakers on the front hatch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Tallon socket for my Lowrance Elite 5 DSI and use the spare power socket with a USB charging plug. It works great, it's easy to disconnect the sounder, and makes for a clean install. It's a bit pricey but includes all the RAM hardware including the quick connect made special for the Lowrance, the Tallon mount, and the Lowrance to Tallon DSI cable.
Tallon/Lowrance/RAM video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe0HgUCPLlM&feature=related

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can pick up 1 aaa battery led stick on lights at many stores that work very well and aren't expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the board here....like the look and was thinking about adding the lighting too. Anything you would do differently as far as installation?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks cool! Are fish attracted to lights like moths? The lights and talk of USB chargers is making me wish I was handy.. :lol:

Have you found a good pair of bluetooth speakers? Are they marine-use specific? No kayak yet but I've the winter to dream big and you never know when these things may go on sale - Black Friday/Cyber Monday anyone? Cha-ching!

I have a related question - I am not a fisherman and I don't know really what I'd do with those storage tubes up front... The black area forming the tubes - w/ islandspped's pics, it looks easily removed? I noticed that you can purchase the black mounting strips for the railing - could they fit or be able to be cut to size to cover where the tubes were neatly enough and could you see speakers get mounted on them? It might be form fitted or the tubes are in the mold itself and the black just covers it then it would be moot... If it wouldn't look neat, I'd probably leave it as is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My bluetooth speaker is the Jawbone Jambox. It puts out awesome sound! Have order a speaker grill cover that I will mount over the Jambox.
The "back holes" are rod tubes that you slide your fishing rods in. You wouldn't want to do anything to them other than their intended use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakiddy Yak - don't mean to hijack this lighting thread, but before you do any plastic surgery on the PA, consider getting a pair of bluetooth wireless headphones. I listen to audiobooks while fishing. Wired headphones are a PITA. This summer I picked up a pair of LG stereo headphones, which work with my cellphone (where I keep my audiobook collection). They hang around the collar, are completely out of the way, and the earbuds magnetically stow inside the ends of the headset when not in use. If a call comes in during audio listening, it stops the program and you can answer the call with one push button on the headset. Very highly recommended. My only problem is that they are so comfortable that I forget they are on, and have gotten 2 pair wet when they flew off my collar as I took off my PDF in knee-deep water. Check them out at http://www.amazon.com/Hbs-700-Wireless- ... h+headsets