Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 PA vs 2013 PA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody tried both? How much difference is there in the seat comfort? Is the flush hatch that much better for standing? I want to get a Hobe fishing yak this year. I found a 2012 not too far away I can get for $2000. Don't know if the 2013 improvements are worth 1K. I'll be single handling the boat. I have a pickup with an 8' bed. How hard is it to load By yourself? I guess you pretty much have to get the wheels.
thanks for any info. I might go look at the 2012 PA in the next day or two. It's about an hour away.

Post subject: Re: 2012 PA vs 2013 PA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, I've tried both. Like the newer boats better. I prefer the 12.
Yes, there is a huge difference in seat comfort with the new seat. Night and day.
Yes, the flush hatch makes a big difference standing. But I usually fold up the seat and stand there.
$2k is a killer deal and won't last long.
An 8 foot bed should be no prob. I can haul in my lil Tacoma standard bed, but a bed extender would be wise money.
You don't have to have wheels. Loading with one person is not that difficult. But again, wheels might be wise money.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with Drew. I don't have a ton of experience but have fished from both in the 14' length. The '13 is an awesome boat. I think in the redesign they added extra structural support. The in-floor storage is very nice. The rudder steering on both sides is really nice and I have my mine set up with the main lever on the right. Pre-rigged for anchor trolleys and Lowrance (was that new for '13?) is nice as well.

Is there $1000 difference? Prolly not unless you're like me and believe deep in your heart that you just have to have the latest/greatest. LOL

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My preference is the older design. It has the built in rod holders and various spaces set in the floor for gear stowage. I have no problem standing up in it and the raised center hatch is something I use quite a bit when changing rigs. It's convenient for keeping stuff from rolling around the deck while working.

Many others, as you've already seen, prefer the newer design. You might also. The thing is, the new design isn't anything that was done to "fix" the older design. It was just a change. So if you can save $1000, you might want to consider the older boat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry but I don't like the newer model ......... I have a 2011 and bought a 2012 to keep as a spare. I don't like the new hatch. The old 1 sticks up some but it gives you alot of additional storage space and you don't have to worry about dropping something under the deck because you have a tray ....... much more convenient ......... don't like the new seat ............ I do like the prewiring for the DF but it doesn't help with a side scan DF.

I just REALLY liked the old model .......... and you'd better run to get the deal cause you will be very lucky if it's still there being $1000 less than the new 1's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is really nothing wrong with the older PA, the old style seat is still comfortable enough for an all day outing (at least in my experience). I load and off load my older 14' PA by myself on top of a trailer that is about 6' tall, I am no spring chicken either. I have never found the raised hatch to be in the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You may want to consider what type fishing you prefer? I spend about 75% of the time fishing standing up. If I was doing a bunch of trolling or sitting down the extra room probably doesn't matter. For my style of fishing (flyrod and spin casting) the larger the standing area for me the better I like it! The center storage is nice on the older model but it certainly is a little awkward. I raised the seat on my older model and it is super comfortable for me plus I can store additional items under the seat. I'm a little envious of the newer models seat that folds out of the way and allows additional standing room though. I imagine there ought to be a way to put a similar seat on an older model?

I like having the slightly wider and longer model. Yes, it is a little heavier and bulkier but once on the water it certainly is great. There is actually enough room on the back that I've had a buddy fish from the back in a lawn chair (fairly calm water).

A cart depends upon where you fish. Having a pin that attaches the cart to PA when unloading sure is nice. I think a 90 year old lady could load/unload my PA14 on my truck bed extender but it is a little tougher getting it up on my ladder rack. Once I figured out a system it's pretty easy.

I have a pickup truck with topper on it. For long trips I store my PA14 inside the bed with a bed extender...worked like a charm on my recent 3,000 mile round-trip. I have a ladder rack that fits on the outside of my topper for hauling my PA once to where I'm going. I can then sleep and/or store a lot of gear in the bed. I can also haul 2 kayaks this way!

With that said, unless you have $ to burn I would save the $1k and put it towards fishing gear and trips! You can buy a pile of stuff for the difference in price and I bet you will catch the same number of fish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the insight. I am going to take a look at the boat tomorrow. If it looks as good as the seller says it does. She might come home with me. I'm boat poor now but what the hell, you only go round once. I really like the idea of the mirage drive. I cycle a good bit so it should work out real good for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Prefer the old style over the vantage seat. You can't swing your legs over the side with the vantage seat. I'm often in VERY shallow water chasing reds and specs and like to "crab" by swinging my feet over the side and "walking" the boat around. Can't do that with the new models. Easier to get in and out of as well, IMO.

Of course, the wife has the PA12 and loves it.