Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't have a garage to store my PA 14 in and with how much I want to use the kayak, I need to keep it accessible. I came up with this as my way of storage. I have two plastic sawhorses and I cut a pool noodle in half and secured it to the top of the saw horses. I flip the PA 14 upside down and put the ends of the kayak on the tops of the sawhorses but not resting on the handle itself. I then cover it with a heavy duty tap, green side up to keep the sun off of it. Is this a sufficient way to store it without the plastic "creeping" or damaging the hull? I do understand that when winter is on its way I am getting it out of the weather and snow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If this was my PA-14, I would move the saw horses so they are 65-66" apart......this will better support the hull by the strongest/middle section...others wise, looks good to me.
I store my PA-14 "right side up" on my Trailex trailer using 2 7/8" OD, schedule 40 PVC pipes....the cross bars just happen to be 66" apart.....the PVC pipes "sag" to conform to the hull shape.
I can use my garage for storage, so outdoor storage for me is not a problem that you have to overcome.....good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great response. I will look into the pvc piping. I would rather store it right side up myself anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You could probably just keep it right on the ground, and covered up, and be just as good. I'd try to find a shady spot, or a place that doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, so the plastic doesn't get baked over time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't put a dark color tarp/cover over the kayak. It will draw the heat and melt your kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Don't put a dark color tarp/cover over the kayak. It will draw the heat and melt your kayak.

Use PVC to make a frame (hang off fence) to hold the tarp and create something akin to a lean-to. This should give you some weather/UV protection, but still allow air to circulate around boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Place the saw horses closer together and don't use a dark colored tarp.. Good luck