Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outriggers and floats
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In my introductory post I had some pictures of my trial outrigger system and some floats for use when my lovely wife is along for the trip. Those proof of concept pieces worked well but were cumbersome to mount and demount when we wanted to use the Yak. So a little ingenuity, some bits and pieces from Home Depot and some foam from eBay and the following is the result. The outriggers have sliding tubes and detent buttons that allow for snug up to the hull, middle out, and full out postions along with removal altogether. Just push a button and slide.

As well the float system was refined and plug ins made allowing the floats to be in an up out of the water position and a down in the water position. Otherwise the floats get beat up when launching and retrieving. The floats are also removable.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never thought a PA 14 would need outriggers. Looks good. I built some for my wife too. We fished out of outbacks. She used them for maybe three trips and then had the confidence to fish without.. but then we were fishing on freshwater lakes. No waves to worry about. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Used the PA for a long time without outriggers. Once I put them on I will never be without them. You can do anything you want in the Yak, and be confident it is not going to tip you out or flip. I came in off the ocean a few days ago and it had started blowing at about 20 knots. The path to shore was with the waves abeam. The waves were whitecapping and every once in a while a big roller would come along, you could hear them coming WHOOSH. The outriggers kept the boat stable and it just rode over those waves like a cork. Without them I may have looked like that guy in the video posted here about a rollover PA12. The floats add another level of stability as well as keeping to Yak level when my lovely wife is aboard. The floats are left on shore when I solo the boat.

Some random Modification Pictures