Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering modifying an igloo cooler to hold 3700 size Plano boxes with some space to spare.

Anybody that has any options they could post, I would sure like to know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a cooler, I didn't like the crate option. I made bracket from PVC to hold the cooler in place, with a couple rod or tool holders added. The cooler provided dry storage as opposed to an open crate and doubles to hold fish for the table with a bag of ice added.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out the YakAttack Blackpak. I recently picked up one and I really like it. They have a bunch of different mounting options to fit almost any need.

Photo by Shaun Russell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My YakAttack BlackPak arrived today. Very happy with it. Now I plan on taking time rigging gear, rod launchers etc. to the top and sides...pics to come soon.

Last edited by Jeeps-n-yaks on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One concern with these solid crate-like boxes is the wind profile that they provide in the stern. I fished with a cooler exactly like Bruce shows... just once. The PA has a tendency to round up into the wind anyway. Adding a "sail" like that behind the hull's center of lateral resistance just aggravates the situaion. I found it nearly impossible to bear off the wind in narrow quarters, leading to a hairy situation with a 551-ft lake freighter that was loading in a slip I was trolling. It's probably fine on a calm day or wide open water, but not for me in confined space with any winds > 10 mph or so. Now my keepers are put in a low profile collapsible insulated kill bag on the back deck, and my gear in the forward hatch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Black Pak Is awsome, besides you cant go wrong with Yak Attack!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use the YakAttack BlackPak on my PA-12 and love this storage/accessory mounting platform. I came up with a unique mounting system that works great and makes loading up simple.

Note- on my boat, the profile of this crate isn't a wind catcher.....that would be me, whether in the high or low seating position, I'm the sail.

This is my "Bomb-Proof" mount, the stuff on the crate has since evolved- rod holders changed, VISICarbon Pro, PanFish, GT90 GearTrac ect, but the mounts are staying the same.......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that is an awesome mounting idea!! Where did you source the cooler closures from?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Baja_Traveler wrote:
Now that is an awesome mounting idea!! Where did you source the cooler closures from?

Amazon, less than $6 each-
http://www.amazon.com/Southco-Non-Condu ... aw+Latches