Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just bought the Ram U-Bolt 1 1/2" ball mounts. Will be putting a Ram Tube Rod holder on the mounts. After mounting on the U-Bolt mount on the side rail, I notice that the rail wants to turn/rotate. Not much but too much not to be concerned. Has anyone encountered this problem? I am afraid that if I am trolling or staked out soaking some bait that if a fish hits, it will not be sturdy enough to keep the tube upright....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the Yakattack Gear track mounted on the rail and I use the Scotty Mount. It will not move. I don't use the Ram ball on anything that would have the ability to have alot of stress because it is attached at only 1 place. If a big fish hits and I didn't adjust the drag then something will probably fail ............. The Scotty's on the Gear track is attached 2 places about 6" apart and the geartrack is attached with many screws along the track ........... I use the ram mounts sometimes when there are smaller fish around

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got some rubber gasket material from the plumbing dept at Home Depot. You can cut it to size and make one wrap around the siderail and this will help to reduce the rolling/twisting. This is certainly not as solid as the Yak Attak solution, but is a lot cheaper and has worked for me when trolling for salmon or lake trout.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Think I solved my problem. On the bottom part of the plastic part of the handle, there is already a hole drilled. Apparently at one time or another, Hobie planned on putting a screw/rivet through this hole inorder to secure the rod handle tube to keep it from turning. I simply drilled a small hole through the rail tubing and screwed in a stainless steel screw where this "pre-drilled" hole was already prepared.