Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 rudder handles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Help Please?
Wife and I have two identical 2012 PA 12's.
I mounted twin OEM steering handles where the knobs used to be for two-handed control.
On one of the two kayaks the steering handles cant inward toward the cockpit, and when the right side handle is turned right, it stops short of an actual full sweep to the right, while the left handle turns inward almost 90 degrees. There is an equal and opposite situation on the opposite side handle. If you are following me so far, then I will add that I have pulled the steering cover and the cables are without slack, and no amount of adjustment of the cables at the steering "pulley" seems to help the problem. Also, this boat came to me with this issue, but the knobs seemed to visually minimize the situation. The rudder blade also seems to stop short of full sweep to either side by about 1/2" when compared to the blade on the other boat.
I have looked at the steering cable diagram and I speculate that the cable is attached incorrectly at one of the points in the system. BTW, this boat is the one my wife uses all the time, so I hear about the problem all the time.
Can anyone assist please? Short of hauling this to a dealer?
Regards,

Fish Face.