Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's that time of year!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yup! As many others seem to be doing, I picked up my 2014 PA on Friday (14 foot in Dune). I fished the KARS Park Redfish tourney in it. But, honestly, I was more concerned about playing around in my new toy. Looks like my Revo 13 will be collecting a lot of dust.

Here are the few changes I noticed: integrated tension line adjuster for the steering line, pre-threaded screw holes for the anchor trolley line guides (no new drilling needed), and, the big change, the mirage drive has been redesigned to include a flaring lip at water-level. I would love to hear from Hobie about the benefits of this change. Also, it may be my imagination, but the drive seemed a bit lighter as well.

BTW, the PA-14 was a surprise Christmas present from my wife! I'm a lucky man!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new PA14! :D The pre-threaded screw holes for the anchor trolley were also on the 2013 models. Post some pictures if you rig it. Happy holidays!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. I'll be doing a bunch of rigging in the next few months. Looking to do about $95,000 of YakAttack upgrades and there is a GPS/fishfinder in my very near future for the AWFC.

I saw that there were screw holes for the trolley but not the guides. The Hobie video showed the screw holes for the blocks but not the guideline retainers. The official Hobie vid shows well nuts being used for the guide line retainer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wndrfl wrote:
Thanks. I'll be doing a bunch of rigging in the next few months. Looking to do about $95,000 of YakAttack upgrades and there is a GPS/fishfinder in my very near future for the AWFC.

I saw that there were screw holes for the trolley but not the guides. The Hobie video showed the screw holes for the blocks but not the guideline retainers. The official Hobie vid shows well nuts being used for the guide line retainer.

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought my 2013 had the recessed threads for the side anchor trolley guides. I would not use the well nuts as those make bigger holes. Just use some stainless steel screws and drill the holes so the screw threads are wider. Add some marine goop or RTV silicone and you're good to go. That will be plenty sufficient to hold those small black knobs that are used as guides.

$95K in accessories!!! That's a lot!! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 2013 PA-14 has the recessed/molded in brass nuts in place for the side guides ....just remove the black caps to expose them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

X2... They have little black caps that pop off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like I read the date wrong on the Hobie video. It was from 2012. So it looks like only one small change to the PA and a change to the mirage drive.

Either way, I'm hoping the weather holds up for the long weekend. I can't wait to get the PA back on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What was the change to the Mirage drive? I noticed the loop to attach a tether was easier to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

*EDIT* I just found this post from Roadrunner regarding this change: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48473&p=215555&hilit=SPINE+SURGE#p215555

Alphonse, there is a lip that flares out horizontally around the MD at the level of the click and go pin. Here is a picture: Image

This is the best I could get on my phone. I'll try and get a better picture of it with camera later today.