Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Buddy Seat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Someone posted about a PA available for sale on Craigslist. When I looked at it, I was surprised with the extra PA seat that had been installed in the rear of the kayak. I have heard of folks having people ride/sit on a hard cooler behind the seat but never this configuration.

I would recommend that if you consider this, you should plan on it being for a small child. Someone heavy in the rear of the kayak may not work so well.

Anyone else try this???

http://images.craigslist.org/01515_7ZBF ... 00x450.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Someone posted about a PA available for sale on Craigslist. When I looked at it, I was surprised with the extra PA seat that had been installed in the rear of the kayak. I have heard of folks having people ride/sit on a hard cooler behind the seat but never this configuration.

I would recommend that if you consider this, you should plan on it being for a small child. Someone heavy in the rear of the kayak may not work so well.

Anyone else try this???

http://images.craigslist.org/01515_7ZBF ... 00x450.jpg

I have a seat mounted in the rear for my lovely wife. There is not much bouyancy aft so I added floats that are added when an additional person is on board. The seat mount is a downrigger mount. I cannot reveal the added weight when my lovely wife is on board, I can only say she is not a waif. LOL I have crawled aft myself and leaned out aft as far as I could without falling in and the floats were only about half submerged. My calculations say they add 144 pounds of bouyancy aft in salt water. (64 pounds per cubic foot)

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried this with my wife the other day. She weighs 145#. I used a low profile folding beach chair strapped down on the rear deck. She was facing me, but I could have positioned the chair to face the other way. It fit just right. When we first went out on the lake my PA-12 felt a little tippy (My seat was in the high position) I put my seat in the low position an it felt a lot better. It would be even better if I could get or modify the seat my wife was on to set a little lower. It sets approx 5" above the deck. It would be ideal if it was 1" off the deck.
As I peddled I did notice that the front on the PA was riding a little higher than normal but not an issue. My front hatch was empty. I figure if i"m out with the wife I'll probably have lunch and drinks in the front hatch which will help bring the front down.
We peddled around for awhile and I felt quite comfortable. Much better than my old tandem kayak we used last year at Mammoth
We only plan on doing this in lakes and it will only by on days when the weather is good, (otherwise my wife wouldn't be outside.)
Where planning on going to Mammoth Lakes in the near future where I fish, she reads, and once in a while we cruise the lakes and picnic at some distant beach.
My wife loved the seat because it is so much more comfortable than her old kayak seat.
I hope this helps, again this will only be on flat calm lakes in fair weather. I'll post more after our trip if anybody wants more info

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Y'all...

I had also been thinking of setting my little girl up on a stadium seat strapped to a well-secured mini cooler on the aft deck... Now I'm thinking a low-profile folding chair to keep the c of g down as much as possible... :idea:
She doesn't sit still much, being a 4 year old... :lol:

Has anyone out there done this with a mini-chair?? Any pics we can get a peek at?

Cheers!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a ten-year old, and I have brought him along on my PA 14. I leave the cooler and crate at home, and let him sit on a square flotation cushion in the cargo area. When he sits there while we're underway, he sits with his back to my Vantage seat...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LGB,

Sounds great... I managed to find a low-profile beach chair that I can bungee the hell out of onto the back deck of the PA12... She can sit facing either fore or aft, and has reach to the important stuff for a four year old - snacks, juice box, dad's hat, etc etc... :lol:

With her mini rod, I should be reasonably safe from rogue lures...

I think we're gonna try it out this wknd if the water's smooth enough. As has been mentioned, I don't see us doubling up when there's any kind of serious wind or waves...

Cheers!
8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had a 2nd person on the back of my PA many times. Obviously the higher the chair..the less stable it is but I've never dumped mine or had anyone fall in yet...knock on wood. Deep waves could be a challenge unless the person in the back is sitting directly on the PA floor. I would definitely have the person on the back wear a life jacket! As mentioned a couple times it's better to have the person in the back sit facing backwards. It makes casting/fishing a lot easier. You may also want to secure everything in your PA just in case it tips over....or you may loose your favorite rod, gear, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the process of buying a Pro Angler 12 and was thinking about this. I have a 5 year old son that loves to come kayaking with me. I was thinking of putting a small beanbag chair back there for him to sit in. I figure it's nice and low to keep the center of gravity down and it should be able to squeeze right into the space behind the vantage seat.