Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wife and I test peddled a PA 12 and PA 14 yesterday and we were really impressed. The ability to maneuver was excellent and it was so easy to position the boat for casting.

I had convinced myself to wait for the 180 drive in October but my wife was happy with the current drive and since she does not fish as much as me we may get her the current non 180 drive in the PA 12.

My question, are there any downsides to the new 180 drive vs. the current proven drive system? I have watched all the videos and I can see a few instances where reverse might be important but one of the hand paddles would seem to work in most of those instances.

I usually get the newest and latest technology but I'm wondering if tried and true vs. new technology might be the better way to go.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

BTW we have given up buying a new powered fishing boat because we were so impressed with the PA, figure we'll save at least $15,000.

Last edited by P7rancher on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It all boils down to what works for you and your situation. The current PA12 and PA14 will cost less than the 2017 model. I love my PA14s and consider them the best platform for the fishing I do in the Gulf. But like a lot of other folks, that new Mirage 180 is something I want based on how I fish. While I carry half the paddle with the "t-handle", not having to reach for it to back a fish out of an area or back up if I'm drifting in to the bank sounds awesome to me! So I'm getting a 2017 Outback to give me a Pro Angler and an Outback to use based on the type of fishing I want to do and can use the new 180 drive in either boat.

The advice you're looking for is difficult to give since each of us have different styles of fishing and needs. The one thing I can tell you is that you will not regret getting the PA versus a powered fishing boat. It's a whole different experience than a powered boat. It's way better! :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It might be for some, but not for me. I have never found myself in a position where I needed reverse. The current mirage drive is pretty simple and reliable, and the new drive might experience some hiccups like a lot of new products do. It just depends on the individual, but the benefits are minimal compared to the added cost and potential reliability issues for me. Every Hobie outside of the Adventure/Revo 16 is pretty maneuverable and you should be able to avoid needing reverse in most cases. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To me, the question is simpler. Is it worth missing 4-5 months of great fishing? There is always something new around the horizon. But Hobie has not even officially announced the prices or any other new features of the boat. Other than Olive is out and Camo is in. Personally, I love my 2016 Olive PA14. I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger earlier. I would not trade the amazing experience I have had since I moved to Hobie in March.

I am going to probably buy the new drive when it gets released individually in the spring of next year. For the type of close to shore Midwest lake fishing I do, reverse would be really handy. Do I need it? Nope. Do I want it? Yes. But until it comes out, I am still going to be fishing, almost daily in the best - my opinion - fishing machine around. Even without reverse.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Curious to know if any of you surf launch/landing fishermen think the reverse drive might help in the surf zone. I know some guys use sea anchors to slow themselves down when landing in the surf. The wave coming from behind will basically roll past while the yak is held back. Wouldn't a mirage drive in reverse do the same thing ? Obviously the drive needs to be folded up when shallow water approaches...And keeping the drive in when beaching has it's own risks...but getting crushed from behind by a big wave really blows. And my new Revo 16 isn't exactly the most maneuverable craft in the world. Think the 180 drive might help ??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crabby Caster wrote:
Curious to know if any of you surf launch/landing fishermen think the reverse drive might help in the surf zone. I know some guys use sea anchors to slow themselves down when landing in the surf. The wave coming from behind will basically roll past while the yak is held back. Wouldn't a mirage drive in reverse do the same thing ? Obviously the drive needs to be folded up when shallow water approaches...And keeping the drive in when beaching has it's own risks...but getting crushed from behind by a big wave really blows. And my new Revo 16 isn't exactly the most maneuverable craft in the world. Think the 180 drive might help ??

Nope,
speed and timing is still the best way thru heavy surf. Lighter surf, both can work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak wrote:
To me, the question is simpler. Is it worth missing 4-5 months of great fishing? There is always something new around the horizon. But Hobie has not even officially announced the prices or any other new features of the boat. Other than Olive is out and Camo is in. Personally, I love my 2016 Olive PA14. I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger earlier. I would not trade the amazing experience I have had since I moved to Hobie in March.

I am going to probably buy the new drive when it gets released individually in the spring of next year. For the type of close to shore Midwest lake fishing I do, reverse would be really handy. Do I need it? Nope. Do I want it? Yes. But until it comes out, I am still going to be fishing, almost daily in the best - my opinion - fishing machine around. Even without reverse.

that's my thinking do I really want to wait that long for it to come out before I get one or do I just take the plunge now and upgrade later reverse would be nice but Ive been kayak fishing allot without it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you pull your mirage drive before a surf landing ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crabby Caster wrote:

With a motor, yes. No motor, never. Speed is everything so pedal in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you get this years model you will save some money and you get the extra months of use. Eventually you can upgrade say one of them to a reverse drive if you feel the need. Then after that you can decide whether its worth doing the other. near new GT drives will always have a good resale value, so no great $$ wasted.

Odds are when the new models are released you may even cut better deals on the old ones.

Waiting for the new release model Hobies is a never ending story. Better to be on the water and not worry about upgrades that are going to be backwards compatible anyway. Let others iron out any bugs with new tech, and there will be bugs, there always is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crabby Caster wrote:

whichever, dont rely on the hobie mirage quick snap leash for surf landing. If it comes adrift power of surf will rip that connection apart. Make up a more solid leash with a more positive lock. Ditto the vantage seat clips.

Revos are the only ones I would consider pulling drive first as the rest paddle like barges. The 16 in particular unfortunately doesn't have an easy and secure storage spot for it for when you take a roll.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for all the replies. I have a plan based on your advice.

Anyone talked to any participant in the Salt Lake City gathering concerning any other new additions/changes to the PA series?

Thanks again
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would buy the 2016 and buy the reverse next year. I'll keep the old one as a backup until someone decides to buy it. Or keep the old one for guest. You don't want your guest to fall in love with your mirage and decides to stay longer:)