Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a '97 F150 with an 8' bed and 36" bed extender from Harbor Freight that I use to haul my PA14. This system works great and I can easily load/unload the PA by myself. Unfortunately the maintenance cost are increasing. I lost out on a fishing trip because of a check engine light, loss of power, stuttering etc.. I am looking at getting a 2011 to 2013 extended cab truck but almost all have shorter beds.

Does anyone have a truck with a shorter than 8' bed and still able to haul the PA14? I would hate to drag my PA14 to the dealer to test fit every truck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

eatfishpaddle wrote:
I have a '97 F150 with an 8' bed and 36" bed extender from Harbor Freight that I use to haul my PA14. This system works great and I can easily load/unload the PA by myself. Unfortunately the maintenance cost are increasing. I lost out on a fishing trip because of a check engine light, loss of power, stuttering etc.. I am looking at getting a 2011 to 2013 extended cab truck but almost all have shorter beds.

Does anyone have a truck with a shorter than 8' bed and still able to haul the PA14? I would hate to drag my PA14 to the dealer to test fit every truck.

I have a 2004 F-150 SuperCrew with the 5.5 foot bed. I also have the same Harbor Freight bed extender. For the short trips down the street to one of the 2 boat ramps in my subdivision I do not use the bed extender. If I leave the subdivision to fish, I use the bed extender for added piece of mind and support.

You didn't mention the model year of you PA14. I have both the 2012 and the 2013 and the loading is slightly different for each one. I have seen some folks load the PA14 stern first into the pickup bed as they think the rear has more weight. I'm not sure of the logic as I roll mine up bow first to the tailgate (or bed extender bar). The PA has those nice scuff plates where the rear drain holes are that keep the hull protected when you have to tilt it up, so that's why I load bow first.

I normally use a one inch wide ratchet strap that I run through the side rails and connect to the 2 rear tie downs in the bed. That's all I need for the short trips and the PA doesn't lift up or bounce (I'm not going that fast for the 2 blocks to the ramp). When I use the bed extender, I hook one of those thick rubber straps with the "S" hooks on each end to the loops in the "T-bar" of the extender.

Hope this helps! Gotta love the Pro Angler!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a 2011 chevy Colorado with 6 foot bed, no bed extender, and I hauled around a PA 14 with zero problems. Ratchet tie downs are your friend!

Hutch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 2004 extended cab Silverado had a 6 foot bed and I had a tool box in it. I used the bed extender and hauled my 2012 PA 14 everywhere without any issues!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2006 dodge 6' bed with 4' bed xter 2- 10' 2 1/2 in. ridge sch40 pipe on 10" center for bunks works great.

HERO'S DON'T WEAR CAPES THEY WEAR DOG TAGS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2010 Nissan Frontier with a short bed I think its 5' and just over 6' with the tailgate down. I use a harbor freight extender and it does just fine!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I first purchased my PA 14 I had a 2010 F-250 extended cab with a tool box in the back. I used the same Harbor Freight bed extender until I purchased a used watercraft trailer. My problem was not the length of the bed but the overall height of the truck and bed. It was difficult for me to lift it that high alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:46 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I have a Silverado with an extended cab. I carry my PA 14 in the bed frequently.

I too use a bed extender. To give my PA 14 better support I have a set of 3" PVC conduit (Grey) which I attached a piece of wood at each end to hold the spacing (about 11 #/4") correct. The PVC doesn't need to be attached to the truck as long as you ty-down your Kayak. I have posted pictures on the Hobie Pro Angler Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/167896486584022/)

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

salmontim wrote:
I have a Silverado with an extended cab. I carry my PA 14 in the bed frequently.

I too use a bed extender. To give my PA 14 better support I have a set of 3" PVC conduit (Grey) which I attached a piece of wood at each end to hold the spacing (about 11 #/4") correct. The PVC doesn't need to be attached to the truck as long as you ty-down your Kayak. I have posted pictures on the Hobie Pro Angler Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/167896486584022/)

Tim

That looks like the right setup right there... Tim, Do you have any pics of the boats loaded...? Would love to see how they fit on top.

* 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

"FISHING THE INDIAN RIVER & MOSQUITO LAGOON"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a shortbed Dodge extended cab and went on a 3,000 mile road trip with my PA14 in the bed with a Harbor Freight extender...performed great! I have a camper shell on my truck with a ladder rack that fits outside of the camper shell. When I get to where I'm going I can put my PA14 on top of the ladder rack so I can sleep in the bed and also store a bunch of gear in the bed. This combo works great for me. Hauling my PA on top of the ladder rack works great for close trips but I wouldn't want to haul it to far that way. I got horrible gas mileage and was getting blown all over the road with it above my camper/roof.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a PA12 that I carry in the back of a Ford Explorer Sport-Trac with a 4' bed, so it's pretty much the same as a PA14 in a 6' bed.
I use a modified Harbor Freight Haul Master bed extender- the main tube has been "V" cut & welded to elevate crossbar, and LED trailer lights installed. For the Pro Angler I went with a boat style carpeted bunk on the crossbar. When I had conventional kayaks, they sat in a pair of Yakima land Shark saddles.
This has carried the Pro Angler 12 south to the Florida Keys and as far north as Virginia with no problems.

Worked really well as a "changing table" for the new baby when it arrived this past weekend! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Simply leave tailgate on in down position and use straps... no real need for bed extender.
Gain several more inches by nosing the bow into the driver's side bed corner, rather than straight into the bed (between driver\passenger).

CBull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Like CBull said. Tailgate down. No bed extender. Nose first with straps. Dodge Ram 6.5ft bed. PA14.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congrats on the new bub Lt. Firedog. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CBull wrote:
Simply leave tailgate on in down position and use straps... no real need for bed extender.
Gain several more inches by nosing the bow into the driver's side bed corner, rather than straight into the bed (between driver\passenger).

Does the yak balance in that position, or do you have to tie it down to stay level? I would disagree if the PA14 is not balanced in that position. Stress on the nose of the yak if weight is back of the tailgate. Just my two cents worth...