Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just moved out to Northern California from Jacksonville Florida. I was worried I was going to miss out on all the kayak tournaments that I was used to back East. I found the Sonoma County Belly Boat Bass Club out here and after some investigation discovered that they allow kayaks. There was a tourney coming up on a nearby lake so I made a run over there for a quick day of prefishing the weekend before the tournament.

It turned out to be enough as my draw partner and I won with 16.19lbs. It was a night tourney and I was the only kayak out of 26 competitors. Looking forward to next months event!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's awesome Matt! Great looking fish!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It was funny, a lot of the field struggled to put a limit together. They were mostly drop shorting and shakey head fishing. Meanwhile, I was power fishing the main lake with big swimbaits and 3/4oz spinnerbaits. Only the top six teams broke the 10lb mark and only 1st and 2cd broke 12lbs!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats! I don't understand the belly boat thing. I always wonder why someone would fish out of a belly boat instead of a kayak (in your case a PA... shocking)! I bet after a few more wins, those guys will ban Kayaks in their tournaments. :mrgreen:

I hear Cali has very strict boating laws/regulations on some lakes. Did you have to register your kayak or pay an extra fee?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't run into that issue yet. I did read of a lake here that allows boats with 10hp or less that does NOT allow kayaks at all! Not sure what that's all about? There are also quite a few lakes around San Fran that allow fishing from the bank, but no watercraft at all. A few of those are fairly large (+800 acres). Then there is the quagar mussel panic. Certain bodies of water require a vessel inspection sticker that must be obtained before launching. The only one of been to so far is Clear Lake and they had an exemption for kayaks, belly boats, and canoes. There are a few that require kayaks to be inspected though.