Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good (Early) Morning! H-E-L-P!!!!!

I brought my new Pro Angler home on Monday and I am hoping to take it out for the first time on Sunday.

My main problem right now is that I took it for granted that it would fit through my door in the sunroom and...well...it doesn't. That means it has to stay outside in the back yard...where has been under a blanket...on the lawn. The saw horses that I picked up from chain store were too unstable and they kept falling down as I was trying to lift this beast onto it.

I am unable to "flip" it over at this point. (The seat, cart, fish finder, batteries, and live-well are in separate pieces in my house. But there it sits on my lawn.

Can anyone recommend a STRONG - not to high from the ground storage rack that sort of looks like parallel bars...which can remain outdoors throughout the year.

I am sure that over time I will learn to love this boat. Right now I am overwhelmed and angry at myself.

Thank you for your help and support.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pool noodles in the troughs of the boat. Lots of diy storage tips on this forum. Just look around. Don't be pissed, just enjoy the boat. Problems like this are easily solved. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I imagine you could do the same thing similar to what most guys do for trailered PA's. Possibly mount PVC to something that is up off the ground and secure a super large tarp around it? I don't think it would be too terribly tough to build something out of timbers, 2 x 4's, and plywood?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All you need for a basic stand at the right height is to use some basic boards and make a square box. The use 4 small "L" brackets and 2 84 inch lengths of 3 inch PVC piping. The box is made with 2 boards 84 inches long, 8 inches high and 2 boards 44 inches long and 8 inches high. I had posted last year the rack I made for my 2012 PA14 and the wife's 2012 Revolution 11. Since I now have a 2013 PA14, I had to come up with a simple ground level solution. It's the same basic design as the original setup.

Here are 2 pictures. Simple yet effective. You use the cart in the back or front scupper holes, roll it up along side, swing the end without the cart over onto the PVC, lift he opposite end up and let the cart fall out. The swing it over on the PVC. Of course if you have it int he yard, you could just drive straight on. I don't have that luxury. Garage is now pretty full...lol. Good luck with your solution whatever it ends up to be.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You know...one of the reasons that I went with a Pro Angler instead of an inflatable, jet ski, or even one of those duck-tape-thin portabotes are the forum sections that Hobie provides and the quality of the posts from those generously willing to offer a hand.

Thank you!

Today I stoped by a marina to see of I could get a rack. When I explained what I wanted the guy showed me a wooden saw horse and it was much stronger and stable than the plastic junky one from one of the chain stores.

I looked up a local lumber yard and found a really cool product....a platic kit to make a saw horse any length or height required. All you needed to do was add 2 by 4s - which the guy was willing to cut for me. I never thought I would be taking out my trusty electric drill, but by the end of the day I had a set of very stable saw horses.

http://2x4basics.com/pro-brackets.asp

Tomorrow I will stain it to protect it from the elements. Maybe I will board it on Monday or TUesday. (The kayak...not the saw horse.)

Again I thank you for your insight and support. I know there will be some growing pains...especially in the beginning, but I hope that by the end of the summer...I will become comfortable with it...and have a few fish stories to share.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Were you actually considering being able to store your PA in your sun room :?: Your apparently must be single :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I store my PA 14 on an air mattress with great success. They are inexpensive and can be purchased at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Comfort-Sued ... r+mattress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heres my cart.. 7x3 on 2"pvc w/ L brackets make yours any height u want get nice castors ;)