Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA Trailer Support
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a PA14 and aTI that I want to haul on my Yakima trailer. I am concerned about distorting the PA hull and looked at the factory padded supports but they need 67" between the two and I only have 52". Is that a problem? If so what suggestions for hull support are out there for a trailer like mine?

Post subject: Re: PA Trailer Support
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not deviate from Hobie's recommended spacing of the factory cradles......having said that, what if you used a pair of 2" x 4" x 7 feet long, turned on edge and were "u-bolted" to the outside frame.....remove the round cross bars first.
This would give you a longer base so the cradles are mounted with the recommended 67" spacing.....you can easily add cross wise 2 x 4's to suit your needs.

I own a Trailex trailer that I modified with parallel 2 7/8" OD, heavy wall (~ 0.22" thick) x 7' long PVC pipes to carry my PA-14......the cross support spacing is 67" and the PVC "sags" to conform to the hull shape when loaded.......easy on/off and material cost is significantly less than the Hobie cradles......just another trailering/storage method..... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I would not deviate from Hobie's recommended spacing of the factory cradles......having said that, what if you used a pair of 2" x 4" x 7 feet long, turned on edge and were "u-bolted" to the outside frame.....remove the round cross bars first.
This would give you a longer base so the cradles are mounted with the recommended 67" spacing.....you can easily add cross wise 2 x 4's to suit your needs.

I own a Trailex trailer that I modified with parallel 2 7/8" OD, heavy wall (~ 0.22" thick) x 7' long PVC pipes to carry my PA-14......the cross support spacing is 67" and the PVC "sags" to conform to the hull shape when loaded.......easy on/off and material cost is significantly less than the Hobie cradles......just another trailering/storage method..... :wink:

I have a jet ski trailer and need to modify it for hauling my PA14. any chance you could share some pics and instructions? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This will give you some idea of the changes I made to my Trailex trailer using the heavy wall, 2 7/8" OD PVC pipes.....I used 11 degree couplers to make the angled connections.......I also attached a 1" x 6" carpeted board across the end of the trailer for ease of connecting and supporting the PVC.
Since this photo was taken, I relocated the trailer lights so they are mounted on to a 2 x 2 and are u-bolted to the aft carrying handle on my PA-14.....I used a "flat 4" trailer pig tail to make/break the wiring on the new light bar.