Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have owned a PA14 and now have a PA12 and I love them :D
The steering is certainly an issue for many people and I also would prefer it if it was a bit more consistent and less "twitchy".
As a possible "fix" I wonder if the rudder could be made "self centering" ?????
This could be achieved by fitting a suitable spring to each side of the steering drum, then attached to the hull.
The result wanted would be that if you realease the steering handles/knobs then the rudder assumes a "centered" position which would make the craft track in fundamentally a straight line.
Obviously the speed, wind, waves would still have an effect, but I think it would make it more controllable.
The springs could be retro-fitted quite easily as all is exposed when the cover plate is removed.
I feel the idea has merit.
Has anybody at Hobie tried or considered this idea ?
Feel free to shoot me down in flames :D
Cheers,
Rod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any chop will keep jerking the boat a bit. You would still travel in a straight line, just in all kinds of different directions - still requiring frequent rudder adjustments.

I don't think the problem is with rudder getting knocked off true middle position. Mine seems to be fairly steady when the control lines are nice and tight. If there is much slack, all bets are off.

You should be able to try your idea with just one spring... May be I will test it tomorrow ...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd intentionally disable any "self-centering" feature if it was installed. I want my yak to keep steering where I've set it when my hands aren't on the rudder controls, especially when sailing.

As Tom Kirkman has pointed out numerous times, the boat will never go in a straight line for long due to the changes in conditions it's encountering during travel. If the wind strength changes, your speed changes, the current changes or you shift your weight on the boat, you will need to adjust the rudder to compensate. If the rudder always took itself off the setting I've put in, I'd go crazy in no time.

Cheers,
Graeme