Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torqeedo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be getting a pro 14 in the near future and just recently a hobie dealer was trying to convince me to set up the torqueedo on the stern and keeping the mirage drive in place. Is this a better method than buying an evo and placing it in the mirage drive hole?

Post subject: Re: Torqueedo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike3dr:
I have a TI ( I don't own a PA) but I use the mirage drive pretty much 100% of the time, even when I'm using my motor, using the mirage drive and the motor together extends your range quite a bit. So I would be lost without my mirage drive, and it would be awkward for me to switch back and forth, you would need to store either the torqeedo, or the mirage drive when not using them, then switch back and forth, etc.
Having the Ultralight 403 Torqeedo motor mounted in the back out of the way of everything else, actually in my opinion would be the better setup, nothing to stow, and nothing to remove. You might be able to rig the steering as well which would help make the PA steer better. I believe the ultralight 403 is very similar in price to the Evolve (they are basically the same unit, but Hobies is modified for Hobie use).
This is what it would look like ( http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-out ... and-canoes)
Of course this is just my opinion.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes ........ definitely yes .......... the Evolve for the PA is an accident waiting to happen. Torqeedo in the back gives you many more options and allows you to use the Mirage drive with the motor to greatly increase your power if you get into heavy tides or current ...........

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have mine off the back and am convinced that it is best for me. In addition to being able to use both there is the added assurance that the motor will tip up if you hit an oyster bed or submerged object; the Evolve will not. The disadvantage for me is that there is stuff on the back deck and the motor has to be installed and removed each time, not a big deal but the Evolve is much cleaner and easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

......... While removing the Evolve takes seconds ......... removal of the Torqeedo takes less than 2 minutes for me

Post subject: Re: Torqeedo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you want to spend all the money for either of those options, then the stern mount is a much better alternative.

Some random Modification Pictures