Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering where others put their wheels on long days ? I am trying to find a spot that is not directly behind the seat without leaving them in the truck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw a guy stick in in the rear handle (wheels up) yesterday on a 2013 PA12 at a fishing tournament. I tried it when I got home and I think it would work fine on my PA14. About as "out of the way" as it gets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In my car. I have no reason to have wheels with me on the water.

That's about as "out of the way" was you can get.

cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was temped to leave mine in the car, but it occurred to me if my mirage drive failed, Iwould be doing a lot of dragging. I guess you could take the wheels off store the frame under the tub and the wheels in the tub. I have the 2011 and it would fit don't know about the newer PA's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I still haven't learnt that "walking on water" trick. If my Mirage drive fails, I'll paddle back to shore.

However, the Mirage drive in my Outfitter hadn't failed me in 4 years of use, totalling more than 2500km as measured by my GPS. I must confess to using preventative maintenance on it frequently … :oops: I'll do the same with my PA14s drive system.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Once you get your PA you'll learn quickly it is not paddle friendly, I fish the inter-coastal waterways and the current can really move. If I have an issue, I want my cart with me, so that I have a chance to get it to a secure location, if possible. Walking on water is easy just wait till it freezes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got one already. I love it, but yeah, there is not much fun in paddling it. That's why I make sure of two things:

* I look after my drive to ensure nothing goes wrong with it.
    * I am physically fit enough to paddle if my drive catastrophically fails out there.

With those two things, I am also able to make sure I can get my PA to a secure location: my launching place.

I also (nearly exclusively) fish coastal waters. When I'm 3km out to sea, I'm not walking back to shore so I take my paddle (and sometimes a sail) as my back-up means of propulsion. I would hope you do too. I don't launch into areas that I can't get myself out of safely though.

I never take my wheels. There is absolutely no way to walk my PA back along the coast here anyway - there's nowhere to land - so they'd be taking up room on board for no benefit.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I put mine in the truck. Depending on the cart, take the wheels off and put it all in the hatch. Or split it up by putting the wheels in the hatch and the frame in the tank well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 30cm WheelEz's. With the wheels installed on the scupper-hole-cart, they block the extension tubes and those I like to use. Another thing that I see in nightmares is me hooking one of the wheels when casting, so I want em outta way.

I remove the giant wheels from the cart's axle and put em, under the bungee cords, behind the crate. They fit just right and provide probably another 90 lb of buoyancy should the yak ever flip. The cart frame then fits behind the seat where it was intended to go, nothing gets blocked ... pure heaven.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only time I take the cart with me is when I have done a beach launch. When returning from a day of fishing, I have noticed how sections of the beach can look the same :mrgreen: I quite often don't realize that I launched another 100 yds down the beach until I am already in the surf and making my return.

I just put them in the rear scuppers and tie them down with bungee.

Plus, on our beaches, it is one heck of a walk back to the car to get the cart and then return to the kayak and then return to the car with the kayak on the cart. We tired yet?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've generally been putting my cart in the rear scuppers, but upon ending a long day this past weekend, I discovered that the cart keeper had come off - probably scraped/torn off when I dragged the boat the last few feet into the water.

Cheap replacement, but it has me re-thinking using the scuppers. Plus, as r11 noted, the wheels can partly block the molded-in rod holders.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine have always gone in the rear handle since day one. Only time it has ever been an issue is when pushing off from a steep ramp with the bow facing away from the ramp. In that situation the black ends tend to drag on the ramp a little until you get to deeper water. I launch with the boat sideways on the ramp most of the time so it hasn't been too big of an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:
Mine have always gone in the rear handle since day one. Only time it has ever been an issue is when pushing off from a steep ramp with the bow facing away from the ramp. In that situation the black ends tend to drag on the ramp a little until you get to deeper water. I launch with the boat sideways on the ramp most of the time so it hasn't been too big of an issue.

Nice, I like that idea for storing during trip. Only have done 4 trips since getting my PA12 month ago. Just don't like in in cart holes behind seat.

NHG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree. I've never tried it in the scuppers behind the seat simply because it would be in the way of me turning around to get to tackle or my livewell. Mine will always be in the truck or rear handles!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some places we go require us rolling a long distance from the car or truck. Rather than tote it back to the vehicle, we often find a tree or some shrubs where we can leave them out of plain sight and secure them with a bicycle lock.

We've never had anyone bother them, although as kayaking becomes more and more popular, the next folks that see them might actually have a use for them and decide to help themselves. Maybe.