Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks sick!!! Really turned out amazing. Any indication when it would be available on a wider basis for the 2013 PA14?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joesak wrote:
Fantastic Steve...looks amazing!!!

I have fished with my Seadek installed at least 15 times and I can say that grip when wet is great and it completely kills the noise when things are dropped on the deck.

Glad you pushed to make it happen!

Joe

Thanks Joe!

I can't wait to get on the water this weekend to see the difference. I'm sure the 2012 PA14 will look just as good.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

phlyry wrote:
That looks sick!!! Really turned out amazing. Any indication when it would be available on a wider basis for the 2013 PA14?

They are working on rolling out offerings for the PA14, but I have no idea of a timeline. I'm hoping once they finish the 2012, they will be able to offer a kit or something similar for all the 3 variations of the PA14 hull since they have all the pieces now. I do know for someone to order something similar to mine (with a custom logo) it would run $295 plus shipping ($15-$20).

You best bet to find out if they have an option that works for you is to contact Paige at SeaDek. She has indicated tome that she will be more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding getting SeaDek for your PA14 or any other kayak. Paige can assist with the whole process. Her contact info is below.

Paige Brewer
End User Sales
SeaDek
321-806-4387 direct
321-632-4466 ph
321-632-7019 fx
[email protected]

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks really nice! Personally I just stick with black (or perhaps snow camo) and less coverage. By doing that, I hoping it will save me some money. lol Thanks again Steve for sharing all your info.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info, Steve. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BIGWORM(512) wrote:
Looks really nice! Personally I just stick with black (or perhaps snow camo) and less coverage. By doing that, I hoping it will save me some money. lol Thanks again Steve for sharing all your info.

Just as an FYI...SeaDrek only uses "black" as a trim color, not a main color. The last e-mail I received yesterday indicated they would be offering 2 levels of a kit for the Pro Angler 14. One like mine would be the high end and run about $295. The other would be a lot more economical version for the masses. I will assume that would be a single color 5mm layer similar to what they do for the PA12 but it might have the rear cargo area or they might offer that as an extra option. I did recommend to the owners that they offer any basic kit in the "Camel" color I used as it would go with all three hull colors and look nice.

If you decide to add any type of SeaDek to yours, keep us posted and share pictures of the SeaDek installed. :D Have a great weekend! I'll be fishing! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just an update on the kit for the 2012 PA14. I received the second set of dry run templates for the 2 front sections. The 2012 PA14 is a lot more challenging to line up... :D . The new dry run templates looked very workable, so I let SeaDek know they are good to cut the kit. So hopefully I should be posting pictures of the SeaDek installed on the 2012 PA14 within the next week.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Based on your success in doing this project I have a kit on order and expect it to arrive soon. Did you remove the pads that came from Hobie before installing the Seadek pads or did you put the Seadek pads on top?

Thanks for all your effort.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old Timer wrote:
Based on your success in doing this project I have a kit on order and expect it to arrive soon. Did you remove the pads that came from Hobie before installing the Seadek pads or did you put the Seadek pads on top?

Thanks for all your effort.

I specifically outlined the single front deck piece to be applied over those black foot pads. The foot pads fit in a depression. I had tested the height of the pads and figured that I might have to lightly sand down that padding just a little towards the rear of the padding. But after laying down that front piece before removing the backing, it looked fine so I did not alter the pads.

SeaDek cautioned that I "might " have an issue with the trapped air, but I've been out for hours in the hot weather of south Georgia and experienced no issues. There is enough surface area around the foot pads for the SeaDek to stick to. I did remove the black pads under the Vantage seat.

It's been an interesting project. Lay your pieces in the areas before removing the backing to get a feel for exactly how you want to apply them. It's not easy to draw the edging on clear mylar sheets...lol. I got them pretty close, but it's all done freehand. I drew the area around the front floor hatch based on the edge of the depression that hatch sits in (with the hatch removed). I'm sure the hatch doesn't sit exactly the same in that depression on each PA. I painted the area in the depression black before putting the SeaDek on so you would not see the hull color around the front hatch.

Be sure to post pictures of your SeaDek installed! I would love to see it.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve - was the kit difficult to apply? I've ordered for the 2013 PA14 and should be receiving the .pdf drawing by the end of the week?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

phlyry wrote:
Steve - was the kit difficult to apply? I've ordered for the 2013 PA14 and should be receiving the .pdf drawing by the end of the week?

It was very easy to install. Just make sure you clean the surface area before putting it down and test fit all the pieces to make sure you have the alignment where you want it before peeling the backing off and applying. You can pull it back up if you need to adjust it while applying. The key for anything you apply in a similar fashion is to limit or reduce any trapped air between the adhesive backing and the surface. That is impossible to do over the black foot pads, but as mentioned before it was not a concern for me.

Are the dimensions I traced exactly perfect? No they aren't...but I got pretty close...lol. You can always look at my posted pictures to see how mine lined up. If you need me to post more pictures I can. What color did you get and are you using the same pieces I drew out? I know SeaDek mentioned cutting up some areas so that more pieces could be put in a smaller area of sheeting to keep the cost lower.

Can't wait to see pictures of yours! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great, thanks for the insight. I ordered the 'Bahama Blue' color ( My PA is the Dune color) with a black border. I'm having a Tarpon and a Redfish opposite each other imprinted as well. I'll post the .pdf drawing once I receive from SeaDek. Paige was fantastic to work with, made it extremely easy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

phlyry wrote:
Great, thanks for the insight. I ordered the 'Bahama Blue' color ( My PA is the Dune color) with a black border. I'm having a Tarpon and a Redfish opposite each other imprinted as well. I'll post the .pdf drawing once I receive from SeaDek. Paige was fantastic to work with, made it extremely easy.

Sounds like it will be very nice!! Will be looking forward to the pictures.

Hoping to get the 2012 PA14 installed soon. Paige let me know the first of the week it was submitted for production. I wanted to try it with the Storm Gray and Black edge, but the significant other nixed it since she is using the older one. It will be the Camel/Black like the 2013 PA14, but should look just as good.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed the pads and it went well. I chose not to remove the pads supplied by Hobie because they are of a better quality than the pads from Seadek imo. They did not supply two pads for under the seat and I have asked them to send me another. I also chose not to install the pads in front of the hatch because I have my compass there and that area is not prone to having anything in it that would cause noise. I may nstall them at a later date.

Although this is off-topic I thought I would provide a photo of the tackle box organizer that Hobie supplies in the hatch in front of the seat. I chose not to use it there and found that it sits quite nicely behind the seat.

I have been following the discussion about Tackle Webs with some interest and was going to buy them but was turned off by the many comments. So I made one for under the seat. It seems to work out well although I haven't used it in action yet.Image

My thanks to SRAces for designing the Seadek pads and working out the details.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks great old timer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next