Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TIRE BURN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, Just bought a PA14 and think it is going to be awesome but before I even got it to the water i almost destroyed it. The Hobie Heavy Duty cart failed to keep the boat from rubbing the tires; needless to say I now have two huge divots in the bottom of my boat. Ok I did pull it with a golf cart about ½ mile from the camp site to the water but it still shouldn’t have been rubbing the tires if the cart was designed for the PA. Has anyone had the same issue?

Post subject: Re: TIRE BURN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It happened to me too. I did everything right but because is the weight of the PA, the sleeves slipped to the base of the cart and created the marks. I ended up putting two tennis balls to keep the tires from rubbing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

greenmerc77 wrote:
I ended up putting two tennis balls to keep the tires from rubbing

2X. this works the best.. and cheapest way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I may be mistaken but I think that there are extenders that you should place on them for the Pro Anglers so that does not happen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Contact your dealer and let them know what happened. I would be very unhappy if I had to keep that hull with the burn marks/thin spots due to a piece of equipment they sell malfunctioning. How thin did the hull get where it was rubbing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I slipped 1 inch PVC conduit coupling on each upright, then the collars and it works fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

About a month ago I too had the clamps slip on the Hobie Heavy Duty Cart when transporting my PA14 which resulted in sandy tires grinding against the hull (unbeknownst to me until I got home) leaving a deep gouge. I'm pretty upset with my otherwise new looking boat gouged. I e-mailed Hobie and they advised me to go to a dealer and get a second set of clamps and double-up on the clamps. Unfortunately, Hobie wasn't concerned about my hull which really disappointed me as I only used their cart to avoid such instances. My Hobie dealer (Sailsport Marine) is great and gave me a set of clamps that fixed the cart (second set of clamps raises the boat and eliminates possibility of clamps sliding again). I would highly recommend anyone with a Hobie Heavy Duty Cart and a heavier boat to install a second set of clamps.

I'm feeling a little burned, as is my hull, that a Hobie product failed and resulted in hull damage that I'm stuck with.

Last edited by TC_Chris on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fortunately I noted that the sleeves slipped before any real damage. I second the 1" PVC pipe idea, fixed the issue perfectly. The PVC can be cut to length so that when the sleeves are in the proper location the center of the hull just touches the pad on the cross bar yielding three points of support. Everyone should remember not to store (or even let it sit for too long) the Pro Angler on the cart as the hull will deform.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I noticed when I first put the Heavy Duty cart on my 2012 PA14 that the black collars would not stay in place. So I went the tennis ball route and the tires do not rub the hull. But I don't load everything in my PA and roll it long distances to get to the water. I like the PVC sleeve with the collars idea and might test that on my second cart to see which one works best.

As for the folks that got the hull gouged or scraped by the tires, I would see if I could find something similar to that "Keel Guard" material where a couple of small pieces would not cost too much. I'd then make 2 rectangular sections with rounded corners, fill in the gouges with an appropriate filler material, then apply those 2 pieces on the area.

That way they would come looking like "protection pads" and shouldn't affect performance in the water. That's my thought on fixing the damage or at least the route I would take. Just throwing it out there as food for thought...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The hull is pretty thin my dealer Black Creek Outfitters has sent in a claim but haven't got an answer. I also feel that Hobie should take responsibility here especially because they specifically recommend the heavy duty cart for the PA14. I went the PVC route but still have a brand new boat with giant burns and very thin material on the bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i had the same thing happen recently. Luckily, I discovered the collars had slipped before much damage was done. Nice black marks on the bottom of the boat though.