Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinking of buying a 2013 PA12 for $1900. . .

It's supposedly one of the first PA12's off the line and was a demo boat for a local outfitter.
The boat is not under warranty and there seems to be an issue with the rudder that cannot be resolved. The rudder evidently does not stay put and this is very noticeable in rougher conditions; it has been tightened up, loosened and the store has even called Hobie trying to look for a fix and has been unsuccessful as of yet.

Worst case scenario, I'm trying to find out how much it would cost to replace the rudder in it's entirety. I figure that will surely fix the problem even if the exact problem cannot be pinpointed!

Any ballpark figures? Should I even bother or is this boat one that I should just walk away from?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Admin

There is nothing that can't be adjusted or fixed. Likely they have a line mis-routed or something.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
There is nothing that can't be adjusted or fixed.

And while I definitely agree with that sentiment. . . there are limitations to making it worthwhile!

Hypothetically, if I had to rip out the whole rudder system and replace it with a new one, how much would it be? $200? $500?

It is my hope that it is a simple fix, but having talked with the guy at the shop who said they couldn't get the issue fixed even after speaking with Hobie directly, it sounds like they have ruled out the "simple" fix. More than likely parts will need to be replaced, but I won't know before purchasing the boat and really digging in there!

I just don't want to get stuck with a jacked up rudder and it ending up costing more than a new PA to fix!

As always though, I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is nothing that can't be fixed. It is probably 1-2 parts of the rudder system that is causing the problem. You don't go and buy new tires/rims when the breaks go bad???

However, sounds like you are limited due to the fact that your local Hobie guy can't figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong Matt Miller, but don't the DEMO boats came with a full warranty that starts the day the boat is sold to the consumer??