Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seadek kits
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith,

That looks awesome!! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Keith,

I was nervous when I ordered as to how it might blend but really does compliment the Olive very well. As soon as you print the " A Steve Stubbs Design" decals send me a couple and I will throw them on my YAK!

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tarheel69 wrote:
SRAces wrote:
Keith,

I was nervous when I ordered as to how it might blend but really does compliment the Olive very well. As soon as you print the " A Steve Stubbs Design" decals send me a couple and I will throw them on my YAK!

LOL...that's funny. I'm just happy that I was able to get templates made so a lot of other PA owners could enjoy the material. Have you made many trips since you installed it? Just curious what your thoughts were after fishing with it installed a few times.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Tarheel69 wrote:
SRAces wrote:
Keith,

LOL...that's funny. I'm just happy that I was able to get templates made so a lot of other PA owners could enjoy the material. Have you made many trips since you installed it? Just curious what your thoughts were after fishing with it installed a few times.

I was nervous when I ordered as to how it might blend but really does compliment the Olive very well. As soon as you print the " A Steve Stubbs Design" decals send me a couple and I will throw them on my YAK![/quote]

LOL...that's funny. I'm just happy that I was able to get templates made so a lot of other PA owners could enjoy the material. Have you made many trips since you installed it? Just curious what your thoughts were after fishing with it installed a few times.[/quote]

Not yet, with two teenage daughters having trouble finding the time right now. One playing volleyball and the other in the school play and I got talked into helping build the sets. Almost all of the mods have been done late at night or in the wee hours of the morning. Luckily I have not messed up anything yet. Should have LED lights finished this week. It will be 75 F today and am stuck here at work.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tarheel69 wrote:
Here are pics of the Army Camo with Black underlayer.

Damn, that's really sharp and pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I want the one piece like that as well for my PA12 instead of the current six piece design they have in the PA12 kit.

Tell me about the bow light? Is that reflective striping in various places?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gemitaur wrote:
I am seeking opinions to see if I am out in left field here. I contacted my authorized Seadek dealer to see about the cost in Canada. The website quotes 150$ USD. Here is the response to my request.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get you a final quote. My Seadek rep has been away at boat shows and has been very hard to get ahold of. So all together the parts that you requested below; #1 of Z102561, and complete M-HOB-17038, come to $336 (Plus tax). This includes shipping, brokerage and currency conversion fees. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you would like to order it.

TWICE the price. I find this outrageous. Am I wrong? I will be phoning Seadek tomorrow to see what the cost of shipping to me directly is vs shipping to a drop off point in the USA near the border.

I suspect the reason the quote is so high is because the kit is priced online without the rear section and without any logos, but they quote the entire kit. My quote for my PA-14 that I received this morning is $275US, and does NOT include shipping, so that would also be part of the price difference. I think everyone is finding out the online price is not anywhere close to what their actual cost is.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Baron2744 wrote:
Gemitaur wrote:
I am seeking opinions to see if I am out in left field here. I contacted my authorized Seadek dealer to see about the cost in Canada. The website quotes 150$ USD. Here is the response to my request.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get you a final quote. My Seadek rep has been away at boat shows and has been very hard to get ahold of. So all together the parts that you requested below; #1 of Z102561, and complete M-HOB-17038, come to $336 (Plus tax). This includes shipping, brokerage and currency conversion fees. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you would like to order it.

TWICE the price. I find this outrageous. Am I wrong? I will be phoning Seadek tomorrow to see what the cost of shipping to me directly is vs shipping to a drop off point in the USA near the border.

I suspect the reason the quote is so high is because the kit is priced online without the rear section and without any logos, but they quote the entire kit. My quote for my PA-14 that I received this morning is $275US, and does NOT include shipping, so that would also be part of the price difference. I think everyone is finding out the online price is not anywhere close to what their actual cost is.

Then that kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a price listed don't you think? All I want is the big piece around the mirage well and that's it. I really hope my estimation is not over 150 since that price is supposed to be for the whole front.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tarheel69 wrote:
Here are pics of the Army Camo with Black underlayer. Photos are not the best but hope to get it outside next weekend and get better ones in the sunlight. Thanks again Steve (SRAces) for all the graphics work!

Steve, since there seems to be quite a few discrepancies in the price, would it be too presumptuous of me to ask what your kit cost? Mine was quoted as $275 + shipping for virtually the same kit.

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fishwhisperer619 wrote:
Baron2744 wrote:
Gemitaur wrote:

Then that kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a price listed don't you think? All I want is the big piece around the mirage well and that's it. I really hope my estimation is not over 150 since that price is supposed to be for the whole front.

Seadek seems to be swamped with lots of business right now, and they have some new employees. I took the advice of Steve Stubbs and wrote Paige an email directly. She seems to be the most knowledgeable salesperson there. I would suggest you talk to her and I bet you get a different answer. Some of the guys there seem to be oblivious of the kayak world and what products they have templates for. I am ready to order mine, but just can't decide on the color yet. I'll wait on samples before deciding that. Good luck. BTW, a big thanks goes out to Steve Stubbs for his work on the templates and logos.

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Baron2744 wrote:
Tarheel69 wrote:
Here are pics of the Army Camo with Black underlayer. Photos are not the best but hope to get it outside next weekend and get better ones in the sunlight. Thanks again Steve (SRAces) for all the graphics work!

Steve, since there seems to be quite a few discrepancies in the price, would it be too presumptuous of me to ask what your kit cost? Mine was quoted as $275 + shipping for virtually the same kit.

Keith, sorry for calling you Steve. Got too many projects going on at once. Your boat looks great with the Army Camo. I'm curious, though. The color chart shows a lot more of the dark brown than your boat shows. Is that just the lighting, or does the Army camo rally have that much dark brown (almost red) in it?

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cdcraw550 wrote:
Tarheel69 wrote:
Here are pics of the Army Camo with Black underlayer.

Damn, that's really sharp and pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I want the one piece like that as well for my PA12 instead of the current six piece design they have in the PA12 kit.

Tell me about the bow light? Is that reflective striping in various places?

The bow Nav light is by Seadog (400053-1). It fit right over the indention for the Hobie sticker so I pulled it up and put on top of the light.

The strips you see are actually LED lights. The ones on front are High intensity green and all the others I have mounted are amber. I have them in the front cabin area, rear deck, all all the storage compartments. I just finished up wiring all lights and fish finder to a 6 switch panel that will be mounted in center storage area in front of the bucket. I just tested and everything works as planned. Have a few more wires to wrap & tuck and will finally be complete. I will likely start another thread and post pics when complete.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve, since there seems to be quite a few discrepancies in the price, would it be too presumptuous of me to ask what your kit cost? Mine was quoted as $275 + shipping for virtually the same kit.[/quote]

Keith, sorry for calling you Steve. Got too many projects going on at once. Your boat looks great with the Army Camo. I'm curious, though. The color chart shows a lot more of the dark brown than your boat shows. Is that just the lighting, or does the Army camo rally have that much dark brown (almost red) in it?[/quote]

No worries, it's not like it's an insult or anything. Heck, I am likely to have his name somewhere on the thing soon anyway when he sends me those decals. :mrgreen:

As for price, mine was $295 + shipping. They did throw in a top pad for a Yeti Roadie cooler in the same army camo for free. I just asked if they had the pattern and Paige said yes and that I would have enough material left for them to make it at no charge. They just had to send to CAD to have redrawn.

As for the color, the color chart on their website is still showing the old army camo design. They are supposed to be updating it and it does not have the red brown like the website shows. It is well worth it to order the samples for $4. You can choose every color and it is still only $4. I actually had to order second set of samples as first time I did not even order army camo based on the color shown on the website. Later I saw a pic on another website showing the Seadek army camo and it looked totally different. That is when I called Seadek and Paige told me they still had old design on the website.

Thanks again to Steve for the work on the templates and graphic design!

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats looks sweet

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith,

I didn't pay full price for mine as SeaDek gave me a discount because I did all the templates to allow them to do all the PA14 variations. The official quotes I received from SeaDek quoted my kits at $295. I also ordered a sample kit so I could determine which colors/pattern I wanted to use.

It costs more for patterns that use larger pieces because those larger pieces have to be laid out on their sheets of material. Depending on the size/shape of the pieces, you might not get as much on a half or full sheet of SeaDek material. That's why the initial PA12 kit is broken up into smaller pieces.

The kits are offered on a single color 5mm sheet (smallest thickness they offer for a single color). My kits were made from two 3mm sheets that are sandwiched together to make the final 6mm padding. They temporarily ran out of the 3mm black when they went to do my 2012 PA14. I was offered the black bottom/trim color in a thicker black, but decided I wanted same thickness on both PAs, so I opted for the mocha brown as a trim. Both look great, but I'm a little partial to the original camel/black colors.

I'm guessing that shipping for most folks would be under $20. The material only weighs 8-9 lbs total and that's before you remove some of the cutout material that does not get installed.

$275 plus shipping to get the same thing I have is a good price. I look at it this way, we spend $3,000 for the basic PA and easily spend $200 for an H-Bar or $300 for the live well. To have custom decking in the same range that compliments the PA and makes the experience of using the PA much more enjoyable is well worth the money spent. If I end up replacing the 2012 PA with a newer one down the road, I will gladly spend the money for another SeaDek kit. I'm sure the SeaDek might also enhance the resale of a PA as well.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fishwhisperer619 wrote:
Baron2744 wrote:
Gemitaur wrote:

I was on the SeaDek website today and stumbled onto the real answer for the price difference. The posted price is for a single thickness, prefab, in stock item, in only the Army Camo or the Storm Gray, single color only. Those are the only ones that are priced at $150. Everything else is custom, and priced accordingly. On the custom orders the price is pretty much determined by the size of the sheet that they have to use to cut out whatever your requirements are, and you lose the excess. I also found where they will sell single sheets. They are: Large Sheet (39" x 77") Price: $140.95, Long Sheet (18" x 74") Price: $72.95, or the Small Sheet (18" x 38") Price: $40.95. If you just want the one piece, this might be your best alternative. Hope this helps.

Richard Laughlin

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next