Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooler for PA14
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm considering cooler options for my 2014 Pro Angler 14. I'm considering both hard and soft side coolers. Does any one have any suggestions on coolers that fit very well in the cargo area? I am considering a Yeti or similar, like the Tundra 35. I would think I could pole around while standing on a hard cooler plus I could probably put gear track on it to mount some gear. I know Yeti makes rod holders for their coolers. I want the cooler to put my catch in when I'm not using the Hobie livewell, and for drinks/food.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

Post subject: Re: Cooler for PA14
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also been looking into this, for the storage of fish on ice while kayaking, and my requirement was also having the ability to haul the wheel dolly in the kayak as well. From pictures including a tape measure I guestimated the largest area in which a cooler could fit the most space possible, and still allow for the dolly would be 13" x 27". The area I am talking about is behind the two rod holders where the cargo area widens.

I haven't done a lot of research on coolers, since I am only estimating these measurements, because I am sitting in Afghanistan right now. But once I get back, I will look into this more, or maybe someone will come of with a cooler that is designed to fit in the removable tray area up front. I have looked into insulating this area too, and it seems it might be a viable option as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also been looking into this, for the storage of fish on ice while kayaking, and my requirement was also having the ability to haul the wheel dolly in the kayak as well. From pictures including a tape measure I guestimated the largest area in which a cooler could fit the most space possible, and still allow for the dolly would be 13" x 27". The area I am talking about is behind the two rod holders where the cargo area widens.

I haven't done a lot of research on coolers, since I am only estimating these measurements, because I am sitting in Afghanistan right now. But once I get back, I will look into this more, or maybe someone will come of with a cooler that is designed to fit in the removable tray area up front. I have looked into insulating this area too, and it seems it might be a viable option as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In my Prangler 14, I use a soft-side cooler that I like very much. I don't stand on it, obviously, but mine has a small cutting board and a small access door in the lid that allows me to reach in for a drink - or slide in a fish - without opening the lid itself. Nice! (Don't remember the brand but I could go roust it out if you are interested.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With regards to a soft cooler, I am considering the NRS Dura Soft Cooler or similar. I am open to all suggestions. I would like one with a removable insert so I can clean it easier if I dump fish into it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadie fits perfect with the live well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats obviously the roadie and livewell. Perfect for drinks , sandwiches, and extra weight. Lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a little confused. How can you use the livewell with the cooler ahead of the livewell? The scuppers are right behind the seat. Will the cooler bit behind the livewell? I was wondering if the Tundra 35 would fit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I never could get the pump to prime. So, retro fitted the livewell to be aerated . I patched the holes and use a Batt. Operated aerated. Works great for shrimp and cocahoes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have the Hobie Livewell and having difficulties getting it to prime correctly. I'm considering wiring in my 12-volt house battery to prime the system and then use the 6-volts as it's designed. I'm still hopeful that I can get the livewell working correctly and I will plan on using it for live bait and for keeping smaller fish. I talked to Hobie about the issue and they said if the livewell is setup correctly, you need to peddle the kayak to about 4-MPH to get the pump to prime. I also heard you can dump a bunch of water in the tank to get it to prime, but I haven't been successful doing that either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I extended the intake line by 2 inches and it primed great. My personal opinion is that the pickup is too close to the hull and wont fill up to the pump.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I looked mine up. It's the Arctic Zone Icecold Ultra 50, shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Cold-Ultra-Cooler-Innovations/dp/B00CPTML3I

Wonderful cooler for a Hobie. It folds flat, has a removable liner, a cutting board top, access door in the lid, front pocket and more. It even holds ice surprisingly well. Mine fits right behind the seat of my Prangler 14, and the existing bungees hold it by the two rear corners. Mine holds a 7-8 pound bag of ice, several drinks, my lunch (which I keep in a plastic bag), and my catch as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JDixon, just curious, I'm guessing that if you switch the positions of the Roadie and the Hobie livewell it would fit, correct? Can I assume that I could use the livewell as designed and still fit the Roadie behind it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It would fit the opposite way better if the rod holders were removed. I had to shave the corners of the bottom s to a 45 degree so that it would meet the well area better. Plus , if your poles were there anyway with the cooler in the back position it would make it hard to access the cooler.