Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was the first person to rig a trailer this way for the PA. I tried several different diameters and found that 2" OD conformed to the hull best, which is what I had set out to do when I came up with the PVC lengthwise hull support idea.

And that was the whole point - to concoct something that would conform to the hull rather than forcing the hull to conform to it. Something that you could store your boat on without it deforming the hull in any way. As you increase the pipe diameter, the pipe gets stiffer and you move further and further away from the original concept. Not saying that larger pipe won't work, but the 2" will flex easier and therefore be easier on the hull over extended periods. Leave enough room on your mounting points so that the pipe can flex and conform without restraint.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used 4 inch so I could use it for storage. I didn't like the 2 in but everyone has there own opinion. I thought 4 in gave more contact area. I have 2of them stored outside for 2 years without any deformity. I would use 6in if I did it again it allow me to reach in easier for storage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Tom! Didn't realize you invented this setup...thank you!

I think there's a trade-off here. For folks who are storing it on a rack, it's no contest...the 2 inch PVC is hands down superior due to the flex.

Putting PVC on a trailer changes the situation a bit. It's no longer a 150+ lb kayak sitting stationary on a rack in your garage...now it's a 150+ lb kayak bouncing on the two bunks. The genius of your design is the simplicity...simply throw a crossmember on the trailer tongue and couple it with PVC. But in my opinion, the PVC becomes a critical point of failure on the trailer, and if it were compromised at highway speeds it could easily ruin the kayak. I don't think you'd lose it down the highway, but I shudder to think of what a couple hundred feet of road rash would do to the hull if it gets dragged. For that reason, I went with 3 inch diameter for additional strength.

Storing on PVC seems like the way to go, but I don't think there's a one size fits all solution. I'd suggest that one should adapt the diameter of the PVC to the requirements of their application.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used 3" schedule 40 PVC for my PA-14......I used 1/4 x 20 bolts with fender washers on the inside of the pipes I pre-curved/bent to fit the shape of the PVC. I drilled 1/2" diameter holes in the PVC and made sure the hardware was not "torqued down" as Nylock nuts allow the whole assembly to flex/move slightly and it will not come apart......No issues after 2 years of use.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I started with 2in schedule 40 58in long white pvc. Later I switched to 3in grey electrical conduit in full 10ft length, that way I didn't have to back the tow vehicle so far to the water. Then I noticed there are some white streaks on the pipe, guess where they are from. So I carpeted the pipes and it is working great. I suggest the bottom of the hull should be checked once in awhile to be sure the pvc pipes are not causing any damage due to the vibration during transport.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a recent photo of my Hobie Trailex trailer "as completed" two years ago to carry my PA-14......Originally, I carried my 2010 Outback and then lengthen the PVC to allow for the 2 foot longer PA-14.
As you can see, I too carpeted the PVC with indoor-outdoor carpeting glued on with 3M "Super 77" multipurpose adhesive/spray contact cement. This stuff is bomb proof!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went middle of the road and used 2-1/2" Sch 40 electrical conduit.Then applied bunk carpet and sprayed with Liquid Rollers. Installed on Triton jet ski trailer.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:49 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Be careful and keep an eye on the hull distortion with this type of storage. The weight on the outside of the PVC pipes can sag in time without any support and warp the hull. In worst cases, it can lead to cracks. These wide and heavy boats need support all the way across, especially in hot climates.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA 14, how long do you get the PVC pipes?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike3dr...If you buy 2 each, 10 foot lengths, that will make the bunks and the angled ends as shown in my photo above....I used 2 each, 11 degree couplers to attach the angled end pipes.
So cut the pipes 7 feet long for the main bunks and the remaining 3 feet lengths is used for the angled pipes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tested 2", 2 1/2" and 3". The 2" conformed to the bottom better than the 2 1/2" and 3". The 2" will make way more contact area .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm going to try 2.5" which is available from a local plumbing supply store. I have plans to try a unique concept...not sure if it will work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking about using stationery casters with rubber wheels all in line on both sides. Any thoughts on this for mounting the Pro 14?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HOBIEKONOBIE wrote:
I was thinking about using stationery casters with rubber wheels all in line on both sides. Any thoughts on this for mounting the Pro 14?

Seems like a lot of work...would need a good number of them aligned just right so there's equal distribution of weight/friction. Another con would be it would ONLY work for a specific kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a wood trailer that I mounted a Malone cradle on for my previous non-hobie kayak. I have a 2019 12 foot compass for which there are no cradles yet to purchase so I want to make bunks out of pvc. Reading all the diameter suggestions. Since they are not going on rails, just wondered what diameter will provide clearance from the wood trailer? Also, how long should they be?