Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:43 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Purchased a PA14 in May of 2013.
Added my own, aluminum, oversized rudder.
Tightened rudder lines taut but not "guitar string tight."
Discovered that:
* my turning ability was notably enhanced - happy
* while cruising at slower speeds my steerage is more responsive - happy
* while cursing at higher speeds the tiny amount of slack in my rudder lines apparently allows my rudder to move a mere 1/16th"(?) right or left and cause me to veer off course quickly and notably. Maintaining a straight heading while maintaining any notable speed required constant manipulation of the steering lever… until I discovered that by applying counter pressure to the starboard side control knob, I could maintain a true heading. Of course, this leaves me in a position wherein I have both hands being used and am certainly not "hands free."

Solution: Through my dealer, I ordered a BOA rudder tension kit from Hobie.

Problem: It comes with no installation instructions.

I searched online and found nada.
I searched the message boards and found nada.
I even went to my dealer and tried to get photos of the tension device from inside the hull of a 2014 model but I wasn't comfortable removing the foam blocks inside the hull on a boat that didn't belong to me.

Any help???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

We have not yet finished instructions. The parts have been requested by users and dealers and provided to those who thought they could handle the job. We have not yet offered it as an actual kit, so copying what is in a new boat is the only advice I have so far.

Hopefully someone who has done the install will chime in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thank you Matt.

I'm slated to go back to my dealer on Tuesday to teach another set of their employees about favored accessories for fishing from Hobie Kayaks, etc… and will get with one of their guys to see about removing more foam so I can get the pics I wanted.

I ain't mad, just looking for some help. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any progress on the rudder tension adjustment instructions for pro angler?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I have been looking for instructions for installing the BOA Rudder Tensioner and cheek block to my Hobie 2019 Outback which also suffers from slack in rudder lines probably caused by expansion and contraction (guess).

Here is one video that shows the operation and some still shots of the installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bted1D1brXU

If someone has a more in depth installation video many Hobie 2019 Outback people would beat a path to your You Tube from all the conversation about the play in the rudder.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave, having no official Hobie instructions is not a big deal........since the BOA could be used in several different Hobie models, instructions would be "kayak specific". Remember, this is a non-factory modification you are undertaking. I think the video you posted for the new Outback is quite good.

The location is clearly visible and not all that critical. Convert the metric tape measure value to inches.
Just pick the location where you can easily adjust the tension while in the water as the hull will expand or shrink depending on the ambient temperature and sun exposure.

You can see where the BOA block needs the plastic end removed and the shaft pushed out so the rudder line can be installed inside the housing and riding on the blocks wheel.
Then a stainless steel machine screw and nylock nut inserted to hold the blocks shell and wheel together.......probably a 10-32 machine screw. I would insert the machine screw so it is pointing downward inside the hull......just 180°/opposite as shown in the video.

After you finish your day on the water, make sure that you relax the BOA tension. This removes any excess tension on the internal rudder system attachment points and won't deform the hull over time.

Good luck and I am sure you can install the BOA per the video!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

While I am sure the boa is nice, all it does is remove slack from the rudder lines. You can do the same thing with a Phillips head screwdriver by tightening one of the lines at the rudder. Remembering that the boats expand with temperature, a seasonal adjustment will keep the rudder properly tensioned. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
We have not yet finished instructions. The parts have been requested by users and dealers and provided to those who thought they could handle the job. We have not yet offered it as an actual kit, so copying what is in a new boat is the only advice I have so far.

Hopefully someone who has done the install will chime in.

Could someone please post or link me to what the BOA system looks like inside of the PA? I have all of the parts and am attempting the modification like what is in the outback video that is going around on the forum, but I am trying this in the Compass and wondering how the tensioner works from the factory PA. I am literally about to start the project, because I have given up trying to modifiy the rudder drum with the BOA there or changing the screws that would have an eye on it to rotate to tighten instead.