Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am THIIISSSS CLOSE to buying a new PA 12 or PA 14, but I had a question about transporting the PA 14. I could transport the PA 12 with no problems in my truck (6.5 ' bed) with the tailgate down with no bed extender. My dilemma comes when figuring out how to transport the 14 and not having a hitch installed on my truck. With a hitch, I'd buy the bed extender and be ready to go. I have contemplated different ways to transport the larger boat without getting a hitch installed, but I wanted some input from the people who already own these boats. Chances are, I will probably break down and spend the money on getting the hitch installed, but I wanted to see what ideas were out there first, as the only use I have for a hitch is this exact scenario. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before I got my trailer, I transported my 2012 PA14 without a bed extender for short trips. If it's secured properly in the bed where it will not move backwards, you will still have enough surface with just the tailgate. I have a 6.5 foot bed as well. You might want to run a tie down at the front of the bed as a safety measure. I usually used the bed extender as an added safety measure for long trips (piece of mind).

I do not believe the additional 1ft 8 inches is a showstopper. It all boils down to securing it correctly. Just make sure you hang a bright flag off the handle to let folks know it's sticking out!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a tandem Outfitter that is 12.5' long and transport it with no worries. I just wasn't sure how the hull of the PA would ride with that much boat hanging off the end of the tailgate. The longest trip it will most-likely ever go on will be when I pick it up from San Antonio and bring it back to Corpus Christi. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

angryblue333 wrote:
I have a tandem Outfitter that is 12.5' long and transport it with no worries. I just wasn't sure how the hull of the PA would ride with that much boat hanging off the end of the tailgate. The longest trip it will most-likely ever go on will be when I pick it up from San Antonio and bring it back to Corpus Christi. Thanks!

Fished Lake Corpus Christi back when I lived in San Antonio (bass boat). You'll be mostly interstate driving and should be fine. There's enough hull surface area that will be on the bed (2/3 of the length). Just use some common sense when securing it. Just my thoughts. Anyone else is free to add their comments.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Consider laying two PVC pipes, either 2" or 3" inside your bed for the boat to rest on. The standard pipes are 10' long and will give the boat a little extra support and help protect the boat from excessive bouncing during transport. They don't need to be attached to anything, just slide them under the boat once it's inside the truck bed.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had thought about making a simple "insert what you want to call it here" out of some 2x4s and pvc that I could slide into the bed to do what you suggest. I'll see what i can come up with and post a picture or two when it is done.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

angryblue333 wrote:
I had thought about making a simple "insert what you want to call it here" out of some 2x4s and pvc that I could slide into the bed to do what you suggest. I'll see what i can come up with and post a picture or two when it is done.

That was the first idea I tried, and it works great. I made a 2 x 4 frame two feet longer than my truck bed, with a couple of cross pieces for strength, then mounted two PVC 2" rails. The boat rests perfectly on it, and is well supported. The only reason I got away from it was I had two boats. I tried going vertical, but getting the other PA up on top was more than I wanted to deal with regularly. I am retired and fish often, so I made the move to a double jet ski trailer. The boats are stored on the trailer and are always ready to fish, even on short notice. For your case, I think you are going in the right direction. Keep it simple and cheap.

Good fishing!

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a pro angler 14 and I have a bed extender that I bought on amazon for 62 dollars shipping and all. It is real easy to use and comes with stickers and red flag.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buy this trailer from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-boat-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-5002.html then watch this video on how to modify it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223uGprVyIc&feature=player_detailpage

Kirrasdad
Bakersfield, CA.
2013 Hobie PA 14

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I trailer my PA's. I did do the frame w/PVC in the back of a pickup for my Outback but the PA was just too much effort to bother with and I went to a trailer - so much easier. If you can't trailer than the frame and PVC rails will be fine. I also suggest the Harbor Fright trailers as an economical trailer option which allows you to configure it several ways. I would suggest moving up a level to the trailer with 12" tires - I'm not a fan of the small tires - but then, I'm now hauling two PA-14's and like to take them on vacation. A used jet ski trailer is another popular option and can be bought & converted relatively cheaply.

This is the one I bought and it's cheaper and allows more options (than the water craft trailer) to configure as a two kayak trailer should that need arise and has the 12" tires.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html
I used this for a year but ended up purchasing another and using a 4'x4' section to extend my trailer to 12' long. That made it easier to back up - those "short" trailers take a little getting used to - but it was not a necessary thing to do.

This is what I ended up with. It's "convertible" to carry a single or dual kayaks. The "upper deck" takes about 10 minutes to install or remove by myself (it breaks down to 5 pieces for easy of handling and storage) if I'm transporting two kayaks.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is a pretty sweet setup on that trailer. Unfortunately, if I get a trailer, I have to buy a new house to store it at. Between my fishing/kayak stuff and all my woodworking tools, there is barely enough room for my wife's car in the garage! The WAF (wife acceptance factor) won't tolerate any more crap. :( Looks like I am going to get a bolt on hitch and a cheap bed extender. Until then, pvc will support my boat on my trips to the bay. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Before I got my trailer, I transported my 2012 PA14 without a bed extender for short trips. If it's secured properly in the bed where it will not move backwards, you will still have enough surface with just the tailgate. I have a 6.5 foot bed as well. You might want to run a tie down at the front of the bed as a safety measure. I usually used the bed extender as an added safety measure for long trips (piece of mind).

I do not believe the additional 1ft 8 inches is a showstopper. It all boils down to securing it correctly. Just make sure you hang a bright flag off the handle to let folks know it's sticking out!

Agreed, especially if you load it nose first. The tail of the PA tapers up and wouldnt touch the bed anyways

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One that me and my dad built out of a lil harbor freight trailer. Lower (for the bottom rack when fishing alone) to unload and load

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Look around for an inexpensive receiver and get a T- bone bed extender by Boondox . Works great and allows you to go places where it may be hard to take a trailer. I have a short bed Dodge ram and it works for the Pa 12 and 14.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are still interested in this topic, I attended a demo-day today (June 1st). I spoke with the Hobie Rep and confirmed what he had told me at a previous demo. That is, a PA on a flat bed is as good as any other way for transport to the water. In addition, a member of the Hobie fishing team was present. I also spoke with him on this subject. Subsequently, I watched as he wheeled, by Hobie cart, his PA 14 to his Dodge Ram truck (extended cab), slide the PA onto the bed, wrap a tie down strap around the kayak, and attach the strap to the rear tie down points of the truck. This team member told me this is the way he always transports his PA.