Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been an avid fisherman my entire life until recently. About 10 years ago I developed severe symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Before medication, every joint in my body would flare including my hands which became so swollen the looked like ballpark franks. Long story short, I started to become a prisoner in my own home so much so that I hadn't been fishing in almost 2 years. Then one day I was flipping through the channels and happened upon the "Hobie Outdoors" show on one of the sports channels.

Between that show, all of the posts in this forum and countless videos on Youtube, I decided to take my life back. I remember the first video I saw was with what I wouldn't call a fat person but a rather large person. At 6'6" and 240lbs I know a thing or 2 about large people. Anyway, it was seeing him and how much he was enjoying himself I realized that if he could do it, what was my excuse? I didn't have one.

I did my research and decided to purchase the Pro Angler 14 from Austin Kayak since the nearest dealer to me in Kansas was about a 4 hour drive to Springfield Missouri. I think I added it to my shopping cart on ack.com 3 or 4 times and closed down the browser each time until one Wednesday night when I finally pulled the trigger. To my amazement, I had everything but the kayak by that same Saturday and received a call by Tuesday arranging a Friday delivery time.

It was still cold then. I spent about 6 weeks customizing and waiting for the weather to warm up. I didn't want to take my first trip until the water temperature was warm enough that I could be in should I happen to turtle the darned thing. The day finally came one Saturday. I told all of my friends that I was just going to take it out to get to learn how to operate it and was going to take any of my fishing gear. They convinced me otherwise and I am glad that they did.

That day couldn't have been any more perfect. The lake was flat calm and it was about 55 degrees that morning. I think it took me longer to figure out how to get my Lowrance out of demo mode than it did for me to learn how to peddle and steer. After about 30 minutes, it was time to wet a line. Within 10 minutes, I boated my first fish ever on the kayak. A 19" saugeye which is 1 inch about the 18 inch minimum on this lake and isn't bad since it is only 121 acres. Amazing, first fish and had much lunch for later that afternoon. I didn't catch any more keepers but did manage 6 more saugeyes, a few white bass and a couple of catfish. When I got back to the dock, I was astonished how I seemed to have lost 5 1/2 hours. I had no idea I had been out that long on my maiden voyage.

Since then I think I have been out a total of 8 times and have caught about 40 saugeyes including one last Saturday that was longer than my 22" measuring board. It ended up being 24" and a little over 6lbs when I got it home.

All I can say is Thank You Hobie, Hobie Cat Forums and Youtube for helping me take my life back and enjoying fishing again. I am HOOKED.

Jeff - Kansas Yaker

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations! I've been canoe/kayak fishing close to 40 years. I'm in my 60's, 6'2" and 250 lbs. (kind of large) and figured I would be in a power boat at this stage of my life. Hobie Mirage has augmented my fishing experience to the point that I have doubts about ever getting that power boat. Welcome to Hobie Mirage, and may your experience be as pleasant as mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on the Pro Angler! It's great to hear that it worked out for you. I'll hit the big "60" next year and have never regretted getting a Pro Angler or just getting into kayak fishing. I don't miss the power boat at all. I spend as much time in mine as I can as it has opened my eyes to a lot of things on the water you never seemed to notice fishing from a bass boat.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys. I'm about a year away from the big "50" but feel like I'm 70 most times lol.

Th Pro Angler 14 is truly amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the clan, Ken. I had my Prangler 14 out yesterday. There were 18" waves and strong wind during a frontal passage when I launched, but the boat handled them just fine. It went calm and bluebird shortly after. Caught my first crappie five seconds after I dropped a jig in the water, and I limited out (10 on this lake) in 90 minutes. This 10,000-acre Utah reservoir also holds walleye, wiper, smallmouth, channel catfish and a few more minor players. Enough to keep me busy for six hours.

You'll find that the Prangler is an excellent trolling machine. Holding a steady 3 mph or less is nothing more than an easy walking pace on the pedals. I can do it for hours. Oh... I'm 67 y.o.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.

One thing I discovered today is that when there is a strong enough wind, it doesn't matter which way your turn the rudder, the front of the yak will go whichever direction the wind wants to take it. That is unless you generate enough speed to overcome the speed of the wind. Of course, by that time, I'm well wide of the area I was trying to fish. I fish a submerged road bed for saugeyes and it runs North and South. The wind was out of the West this afternoon. I battled the wind for about three hours trying to stay over that roadbed. Finally gave in after about 3 hours. It wasn't a total waste though as I did manage to boat 3 fish with one keeper at 19".

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KansasYaker.....try using quick, short strokes and you should find the PA will respond faster to the rudder in the conditions you described.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll give that a try Dr.SteelheadCatcher. At some point I also need to try my anchor and anchor trolley. I've been out a total of 8 or 9 times now and found I like to keep moving. I guess next time I catch a fish or two in a particular spot, I should try anchoring over them.