Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a new Pro Angler 14 owner, I have discovered a couple of things about it. First, I guess the Hobie craze hasn't really hit yet in Kansas because I have yet to see another one. I must be a trend setter. Secondly, you get funny looks from powerboat owners.

On my third trip out, I stopped at a gas station on the way to pick up nightcrawlers for saugeye fishing. As I was walking into the store, an owner of a big powerboat was walking out. He looked and saw the Hobie Pro Angler and he says "that's different". My reply was "yep".

The lake I go to is small but does have a 2 slip boat launch but I like to put in at the one closest to the dock. Much easier to push it off the trailer and quickly run to the dock and pull it over and tie it off. Heck, I don't even have to get wet. Who should happen to be in that first slip, yes the powerboat owner. As I wait there for over 15 minutes for him to try and get his motor started, I happened to lean up against my truck and accidentally activated the panic button on my truck's remote, so the horn started beeping.

I felt obligated to go down and explain to him that it was an accident and that I wasn't honking at him to get out of the way. Fortunately, he understood. I then also felt obligated to say "you know, my engine always starts, and the only fuel it needs is Snickers Bars". Again, fortunately, he had a sense of humor and chuckled.

Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Kansas Yaker

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kansas Hobie 16 and Adventure Island owner here!

Which lake are you fishing?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm fishing Middle Creek in Louisburg, KS. Its a small lake at 121 acres, but I've already caught 40 saugeyes of which only 5 were keepers. Not bad for 8 trips. I wanted to stick to the smaller lake until I learned how to use the Pro Angler. Soon I will venture out to Hillsdale Lake in hopes of getting some walleyes.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear of people catching Walleye in Hillsdale and even Clinton lake, but my only experience with even trying to catch them is on Canadian fishing trips.. And when you are in a place where people from Minnesota leave home to fish you know it is going to be good... so I am afraid to even go out with it in my mind to catch them as... well.. you know..

Did ya buy your yak from Jim?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I was looking at the Hobie website, the nearest dealer I could find was in Springfield Missouri which was too far of a drive for me. I ordered it from Austin Kayak and had it about a week.

As far Hillsdale goes, I have caught many walleyes there either off the dam during the spawn or out of my friends Lund. That was before he got married and I developed severe arthritis. Long story short, I hadn't fished in almost 2 years before my maiden voyage on the Pro Angler about 3 weeks ago.

I've heard that the walleye fishing at Hillsdale has gone down in the last few years. Many blame fish and wildlife due to them netting during the spawn to produce fry for other lakes throughout Kansas. I cannot confirm or deny other than my past experiences fishing out of a boat there and sometimes catching 20-30 per trip although most were shorts.

Waiting for a semi calm day here in the near future before I test my kayak skills on the larger lake.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just using minnows? Or?

In Canada it is always about finding the right depth/water temp.. once you hit that it is all over but pulling them in. Last trip up it was a 28 inch Walleye and a 21inch Smallmouth took top honors for the trip... (and all the pike you could handle)

If you go early, like now, on the lake we hit up there while they are spawing you almost don't have to bother with bait.. Just throw a hook in.. :lol:

Any tricks for catching them around here.. That is one delicious fish!

These are fun too!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jig and nightcrawler mainly. Sometimes jigs and plastics. I caught a 24" 6lb saugeye a couple of Saturdays ago which isn't bad for the 121 acre lake. I pretty much only catch them over the submerged road in Middle Creek in about 8 to 10 feet of water.

I have caught a 10lb walleye off the dam at Hillsdale during the spawn and released it. In a boat, we had good look drifting over the flats again with jig and nightcrawler in anywhere from 6 to 18 feet of water.

That is certainly a nice pike. Some day, I would like to make it up to Canada.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One thing I discovered today is that when there is a strong enough wind, it doesn't matter which way your turn the rudder, the front of the yak will go whichever direction the wind wants to take it. That is unless you generate enough speed to overcome the speed of the wind. Of course, by that time, I'm well wide of the area I was trying to fish. I fish a submerged road bed for saugeyes and it runs North and South. The wind was out of the West this afternoon. I battled the wind for about three hours trying to stay over that roadbed. Finally gave in after about 3 hours. It wasn't a total waste though as I did manage to boat 3 fish with one keeper at 19".

Also had another laugh as I was leaving at 2 guys trying to get the motor on a 19 diggy 2 Bass Tracker. Never did get it started. I almost asked them if they wanted to borrow my paddle, but thought better of it.